Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

optima batt. will not hold a charge

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So from this thread I have gathered that with Gell cells... they have to be stored using special handling, cost a lot, have to be charged special, can't be drained completely, and die if they are put under a small current draw.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Teching In

once the optimas release their gas, theyre trash..which is what this sounds like..

ive currently own a red, yellow, and several g31 blue tops..ive had the red top in my car for over 2.5 years and ive killed it several times..one time down to 2.5v's..still cranks the car right up..
I dont know what people do to them. but, i dont have one bad thing to say about them..Managed to pull over 6800 watts out of a single optima w/ the car off more times than i care to count, still works like brand new.

Ive owned a few of the odyssee batteries, and theyre also quality units..you'll see them rebadged as stinger, hawker, etc, etc..

Kinetik is another great company to deal with, that has top notch customer service.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
So from this thread I have gathered that with Gell cells... they have to be stored using special handling, cost a lot, have to be charged special, can't be drained completely, and die if they are put under a small current draw.
My understanding (from their website) is that the Odyssey is a dry cell, not gell cell, and therefore differs from the Optima, and doesn't have these problems. Apparently the first 5 second cranking power is also much greater than with most batteries. Also can be stored for 2 years and retain up to 50% of it's charge at 70 degrees....longer if cooler. It also doesn't go dead like conventional batteries and strand you. It cranks slower, but with enough power to start. Kinda like a pre-warning you need to replace it.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmm.. mabey that would be the way to go. I just wanted a good battery because I daily drive my camaro and leave it outside all the time (chicago wnters). with all the Hype over Optimas I figured it would be a good buy.
I've heard good things about the Oddosey batteries also the Deka Intmidator line of batteries on the Car Audio forums for all round use but probably best bet it just to stick with regular ol' batteries. Never had any battery problems with them ever and I don't run my stereo hard with the engine off anyhow.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS30ANV
My understanding (from their website) is that the Odyssey is a dry cell, not gell cell, and therefore differs from the Optima, and doesn't have these problems. Apparently the first 5 second cranking power is also much greater than with most batteries. Also can be stored for 2 years and retain up to 50% of it's charge at 70 degrees....longer if cooler. It also doesn't go dead like conventional batteries and strand you. It cranks slower, but with enough power to start. Kinda like a pre-warning you need to replace it.
carries similar properties of any deep cycle battery which is not a conventional battery.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
carries similar properties of any deep cycle battery which is not a conventional battery.
From the Odyssey site........

The ODYSSEY battery combines in one box the characteristics of two separate batteries. It can deep cycle as well as provide enormous cranking power — it is almost as if a champion long distance runner and a world class sprinter are one and the same person.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS30ANV
From the Odyssey site........

The ODYSSEY battery combines in one box the characteristics of two separate batteries. It can deep cycle as well as provide enormous cranking power — it is almost as if a champion long distance runner and a world class sprinter are one and the same person.
exactly, similar properties. optima yellow top, deep cycle and larger cranking amps. Comparing the d34/d78 to the pc1200. Optima is better speced. However, odyssey warranties is an extra year longer.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember years ago that there were these "battery minders" or something that attach to the side of the battery and would disconnect the power once it got below a certain voltage for a certain legnth of time. Anyone know if they are still made?

Anyone remember those 2 in 1 batteries? Man those were great. Main portion was like 600CA and then it had a reserve portion at like 200CA. There was a **** on the top and if the battery ever ran down you pop the hood, rotate the **** (connects the 2 together) and then crank the car. It was brilliant!
I haven't seen them in a long time though.

I just went through 2 batteries in the last month myself so I'm pretty frustrated with the whole thing.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I remember years ago that there were these "battery minders" or something that attach to the side of the battery and would disconnect the power once it got below a certain voltage for a certain legnth of time. Anyone know if they are still made?

Anyone remember those 2 in 1 batteries? Man those were great. Main portion was like 600CA and then it had a reserve portion at like 200CA. There was a **** on the top and if the battery ever ran down you pop the hood, rotate the **** (connects the 2 together) and then crank the car. It was brilliant!
I haven't seen them in a long time though.

I just went through 2 batteries in the last month myself so I'm pretty frustrated with the whole thing.

I have a BatteryMinder Plus (actual name) on my SS as it sleeps in the garage during the winter. There are others like the Battery Tender, but don't perform the same functions.....such as desulphation of the plates etc.
Some info...
http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=VDC-12117
Old 04-21-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

The one I'm talking about attaches to the battery positive terminal and the positive cable attaches to the device. So it fits in between. It is for everyday driving. It has circuitry that monitors the voltage and if it detects the battery is going to discharge to a dangerous level (not cranking the car) it will severe the link to the battery. To reset it you have to pop the hood and push a button or switch. It was kind of like a smart circuit breaker.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

I found one! It 's called the Priority Start - Battery Power Saver.
http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/17758.html
It's a little pricey though. I don't like that it cuts power at 12v or the top mounts. I'll have to see if it will work for me and my application.