Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Speakers from Trans AM

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Monsoon Speakers from Trans AM

I have a very general question. I have looked through a few of the other threads but can not seem to find the answer.

Will Monsoon speakers from a 2001 Trans Am work in a 1999 Camaro Z28? I would hope that the set-ups are the same, but I am not sure. From what I have seen so far, my only guess is that they are different in some way. Thanks for any help on the subject.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

The set-ups are different. The T/A has seperate tweeter and mid mounting spots in the doors where as the camaro does not. I believe the wiring to the sail panel speakers is different as well as the rear hatch. The T/A has seperate mid and high speakers in the hatch.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No. The main difference in the Firebird and Camaro setups is the speakers.

DOORS: F"birds have seperately mounted component speakers. Camaros have coaxial mounted speakers, even though the woofer and tweeter are wire seperately.

SAILS: F'birds have dual voice coil subs, each coil driven seperately by the Monsoon amplifier. Camaros have single voice coil subs.

HATCH: While I believe the 4" mid-range speakers are the same for both vehicles, the F"birds have an additional tweeter in the back. There is no wiring for the tweeter in the Camaro.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Thats alot of great information about the two different set-ups, thanks. What were to happen if I did replace the door and sail speakers from Camaro to T/A? Will they even work?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Sorry, didn't see your other reply. I guess I should not even try with speaker change. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're better off replacing them with aftermarket speakers. There are hundreds of threads on here about how to do this and which speakers work and which ones don't. Don't bother asking anyone at your local stereo shop. They'll claim you can't use aftermarket speakers with the stock system. Not so.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Cool, I will go ahead and check out some of the other threads for what speakers work for my car. I wouldn't even bother with the local stero shops, the forums is the best place to get some answers to anyones questions.