Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Adding Keyless remote?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:48 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Adding Keyless remote?

My wife's B4C has PL but did not come with Keyless remote. A buddy who is parting out a car claims that all LS1 F-bodies came pre-wired for the keyless remote module. He said all I have to do is buy his module and it will plug right in. I pulled off the interior panels in her car when the module should be (passenger side footwell) and could not find any "spare" wiring connectors.

There were, however, 4 pairs of connectors already plugged into each other, all in the immediate area of the footwell. Perhaps the module has 2 ports for plugs? Don't know as he has not brought the module over yet and I am too lazy to pull the panels on my other cars that do have keyless entry.

So, anyway, the question is: is this guy correct? Are PL cars also pre-wired for the GM keyless entry module?

Thanks in advance.
Todd
Old 04-25-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it have RPO AU0?
Old 04-25-2006, 01:15 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Does it have RPO AU0?

My wife has the car, so I can't walk out to the parking garage to check the sticker.

I take it that is the Keyless Entry RPO? If so, it's not there. The plastic bracket that holds the module is empty.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't have factory keyless on my 3.8 Bird, but I added it later.
I bought a BCM and two keyfobs from a guy on ebay, and he programmed it to match my keys. Swapped my old one out, worked like a charm...
Old 04-26-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Veteran

I think the BCM swap is the only way unless you reprogrammed your BMC. It is not a hardware issue. I think it is a software issue.

I have seen auctions for stuff like that on ebay.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Bear in mind that if you get a used BCM you have only a 1-in-14 chance of it matching the resistor pellet in your key. A new BCM can be programmed by the owner to match any key but a used one can't so you will probably have to bypass the VATS system. Not a big deal but something to be aware of.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:46 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Guys,

Thanks a bunch for the input. I take it the BCM is the module I am talking about. I can't swap it, because I don't think (unless I looked in the wrong place) her car even has one. I would be adding one, not swapping out.

I would have a brand new key fob, which I know is easy to match to the "BCM". I have done that before. There is a simple procedure for programming a new fob and it will take on the code for the existing BCM.

My original question has not really been answered yet: should her car be pre-wired to accept a BCM?

Thanks,
Todd
Old 04-26-2006, 08:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

All 98-02 F-bodies have a BCM. It controls keyless entry, theft alarm, PassKey II (VATS) system, courtesy lights, audible chimes, retained accessory power, power locks, and the power hatch release. The BCM is under the right side of the dash near the blower motor. Leave your key in the ignition and follow the chime noise to find it.

Yes, your car is wired for keyless entry if it has power door locks. You just need a BCM that supports the option.

Yes, you can program the key fobs to match the system - instructions are in the owner's manual and posted in a thread in this forum somewhere. What I was refering to is the VATS (vehicle anti-theft system) resistor pellet on your ignition key. There are 14 different values for those pellets and the one used in the ignition must match the programming of the BCM or the car won't start. A new BCM can be programmed by just turning the ignition on and off several times with the key you want to match. But a used BCM can't be reprogrammed that way to match your key.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:33 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

ahhh, got it. Thanks!

Didn't know the BCM was controlling all of those functions. Based on his comments, my buddy must think he has some sort of "module" that ONLY controlls keyless entry. Evidently he is wrong.

So, looks like I will not be able to add keyless entry to the car without a hassle (getting a new key cut with the right resistor pellet).

*Edit*
Just spoke with the buddy with the used BCM. He was actually aware that it controlled all of those things. However, he thought he had heard of people swapping BCMs into cars and not having problems. Guess that was just rumor.

Last edited by TWS; 04-26-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by TWS
ahhh, got it. Thanks!

Didn't know the BCM was controlling all of those functions. Based on his comments, my buddy must think he has some sort of "module" that ONLY controlls keyless entry. Evidently he is wrong.

So, looks like I will not be able to add keyless entry to the car without a hassle (getting a new key cut with the right resistor pellet).
No, you can still do it with a used BCM but you'll either have to buy 14 keys (one of each resistance value) or just install a VATS bypass kit like they use for installation of remote starters. Granted, you lose that little bit of protection that the VATS system offers but a pro can get by that in seconds if he wants to steal your car so it's not much protection.

EDIT: Actually, you could just buy the 14 different resistors at Radio Shack for only a few dollars and try each one until you find the one that works with the replacement BCM. Then just get new keys cut using that resistance value.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:13 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, you can still do it with a used BCM but you'll either have to buy 14 keys (one of each resistance value) or just install a VATS bypass kit like they use for installation of remote starters. Granted, you lose that little bit of protection that the VATS system offers but a pro can get by that in seconds if he wants to steal your car so it's not much protection.

EDIT: Actually, you could just buy the 14 different resistors at Radio Shack for only a few dollars and try each one until you find the one that works with the replacement BCM. Then just get new keys cut using that resistance value.
Yeah, that would be a hassle. I am having that guy check to see if he still has the keys to the parted-out car. It is possible for a locksmith shop to measure the resistor (if they have the machine that does it) and then just grab the right blank off the shelf. I've actually done that before. However, some do not have the measuring device and they need the "knock out" piece from the original key that has the resistor number on it.