Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

G-Tech Accuracy - How good for power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default G-Tech Accuracy - How good for power?

I have a G-tech pro, and have ran it many times last year before any mods. Read consistantly around 260hp / 280ft-lbs. Okay it was reading lower than expected.

Now I have change the headers, intake manifold and all mods in the sig. It now reads 356hp / 375 ft-lbs, the g-tech was reading zero g-force before pulling away, pulled gently in first then into second for a long gear pull. If it wasn't reading zero I guess I would expect an error. I just feel I have gained more than expected, not that I'm complaining, but are these things accurate in measuring power?

I need to do some more runs to check for consistancy, just need to drive a little caucious at the mo.

The two runs were done on the same stip of road, just many months apart.

Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails G-Tech Accuracy - How good for power?-g-tech.jpg  
Old 04-30-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to a dyno ! G-Tech = Poopy
Old 04-30-2006, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Make sure you have the exact weight with you in the car. A guess weight will be off in all the readings since it uses the weight to determine hp/tq. My new kenwood hu has a g tech hp calculator built in, I haven't messed with it much yet though.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rotwiler
Make sure you have the exact weight with you in the car. A guess weight will be off in all the readings since it uses the weight to determine hp/tq. My new kenwood hu has a g tech hp calculator built in, I haven't messed with it much yet though.
The same weight was programmed in for both runs, although fuel levels may have been different. The runs last year were all around the lower figure. Only done one this year, I need to do more to verify it. I wont go by them numbers as being my true power, I was just surprised at how much diference the mods made.

I will take it to a dyno one day when I find one around here.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:01 AM
On The Tree

These things will usually correspond closer to a load dyno than to an inertia dyno.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Units like the G-tech have their place but giving a HP calculation is not one of them. It's important to understand that everything the G tech puts out is based upon calculations using a single input - acceleration over time.

This means that they are pretty handy for A-B comparisons of 0-60, and quarter mile runs, so long as you are running the same flat road in the same weather conditions.

But the HP calculation is figured off of the same data. Anything that impacts how much acceleration you have over time (ambient conditions, launch traction, actual power, engine temp, road flatness) will throw this number off. So just as the above items can make a 1/4 mile time vary by maybe 0.5 sec or more, you'll see the same variation in hp calcs.

Did you do 1/4 runs at the same time?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by todddchi
Units like the G-tech have their place but giving a HP calculation is not one of them. It's important to understand that everything the G tech puts out is based upon calculations using a single input - acceleration over time.

This means that they are pretty handy for A-B comparisons of 0-60, and quarter mile runs, so long as you are running the same flat road in the same weather conditions.

But the HP calculation is figured off of the same data. Anything that impacts how much acceleration you have over time (ambient conditions, launch traction, actual power, engine temp, road flatness) will throw this number off. So just as the above items can make a 1/4 mile time vary by maybe 0.5 sec or more, you'll see the same variation in hp calcs.

Did you do 1/4 runs at the same time?
In the G-Tech booklet it says to pick second for HP calcualtions, so just get rolling in first and use second up to the highet RPM you want to go.
Ise first and second fast to get 0-60 times.

Havn't done any tims 1/4 miles runs, no drag strips near by, having to do this on a normal road, and there are some bumps and bends on the road I have been using for maxing out in second, maxing out in third would be 3 times over the speed limit. I need to pick another road that is long and flat, some near the sea front but there is CCTV down there.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My point was just that it's all based upon acceleration force over time. Taking all those factors in to spit out a HP number will result in a huge amount of variation from one day to the next, as will turning, hitting bumps, or even orienting the G-tech a little differently.

Someone can chime in but for example just by the math a 1.0 second varation in quarter mile time could be equated to maybe 75 hp.

Your 0-60 time is probably the most useful and accurate feature of the unit. You can use that to get a feel for where you are really at.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

I had an old school G-tech years ago. I found it extreemely innacurate, however, it was consistently innacurate. Ultimately, It was a useful tool for comparisons' sake(upgrades).