Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How Can I Set Speaker Levels with a DMM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How Can I Set Speaker Levels with a DMM?

Hey guys, I have a DVC sub and I'm trying to make sure both amp channels are matched in output. My amp has a gain control for the left and right so I want to make sure they are set exactly the same. I have a digital multimeter but haven't been able to find a source of sound to play through the amp to get a steady reading. Any suggestions on what I can use?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get a steady signal, you have to use a test tone. For subs, use 45-50 Hz and for mids/highs, you a 1kHz test tone. Make sure they are 0dB. This is a nice way to set up the gain without any chances of clipping:

1. Disconnect the speaker from the amplifier.
2. Turn the gain all they way down.
3. Insert the test tone and set all Bass/Treble Levels to 0dB.
4. Set the HU to a normal volume level. I use 24/35 for my Alpine.
5. Here is the formula. Take the ouput RMS (watts) from the amp and multiply that by the final load. Then, square root. For example: I am using 610 Watts going into a 2 Ohm load. Thus, (610*2)=1220. Once square rooted, the output voltage wil be set to 34.93 VAC.
6. Turn the gain up while monitoing the output and set the voltage to the calculated value.
7. Turn everything off and reconnected the wires.

Also, this would apply to the mids/highs. When doing multiple amps, disconnect the RCA's from the amp not being calibrated. You do not want test tones going to your speakers at high volume levels. They could blow.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, this is where I get my test tones from.

http://realmofexcursion.com/
Old 05-03-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

The level is already set, I just want to make sure they are even. I used a test tone I found online, but it was not giving me a steady voltage. I was wondering if pink noise would work. I may just have to try a different test tone with a more stable output. My setup uses a PC as the source, so I probably need to rip one of my test discs and transfer it to the HDD. Since it didn't work the first time I thought I might be doing something wrong.
Thanks, I'll try again and see what I get.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blacker
BTW, this is where I get my test tones from.

http://realmofexcursion.com/
Hey, they have a lot of good downloads. Thanks for the link.