Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Infiniti 6012's

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Infiniti 6012's

Hey guys,

I recently blew out one of the door speakers in my 2001 SS w/ the monsoon system. I decided to take off the door panels lastnight and see what was going on, obviously just as I thought the speaker was blown. I went over to bestbuy and picked up two Infiniti 6012's to replace the speakers in my front doors. My question is this. The stock speakers have four wires (two for the tweeter and two for the sub portion), and now the speakers I have only have provisions for two wires. Which two wires do I hook up to the new infiniti speakers? The 6012's have tweeters built into them as well.

I am sure these are not the best speakers to use and Im sure there are plenty of opinions on what else I should be using. I am not going for an all out system just looking for something equally as good as what I had in there. Hopefully these speakers are at least on par with what came out of there. Please let me know how I should wire these speakers. Thanks!!!!!

-Jamin
Old 05-04-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In the Monsoon system the door tweeters are driven by the head unit, while the woofers are driven by the amplifier. To get the best sound, you'll want a speaker that you can bi-wire as in the stock configuration. The 2 most popular choices for stock system replacement speakers are the Infinity Kappa 62.7i and the Alpine SPS-17C2 (formerly known as the SPS-170A). The Alpines are less expensive, but require a small modification in order tto bi-wire them.

Here's a thread for this mod: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=instructions
Old 05-05-2006, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

ok I just called Crutchfield last night to upgrade my sytem and they recomanded these speakers at $99 a set. I would be getting the fronts and rears.
When I asked him about the wiring, he said that they will supply me with a wiring harness that should just be plug and play.

Anyone ever use them for this setup.
He also said, by just adding these speakers to the factory unit will be a huge plus.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Launching!

I think I am going to do the mod listed in one of these posts tonight. I dont see how a wiring harness will make it work properly. All you have to do is a little soldering. If you are semi knowledgeable it should be easy. I will post back later tonight when im finished to let you know how it went. Later,

-JZ
Old 05-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Well...It is super easy to use the 6012's in the front doors. I wired the woofer seperate from the tweeter and it took longer for my soldering iron to heat up than it did to prepare everything.

The write up in the above link spelled things out perfectly. Overall the $99 I spent on the speakers and an hour putting them in was well worth it. If anyone has any questions let me know.

-JZ
Old 05-05-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

My speakers are shreaded, is it too late for any pics? How do they sound?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Yeah its definitely too late for pictures. I think they sound really good. I am not into getting every ounce of perfect sound from a system so they are great for me. I just want something that sounds decent.

They are very easy to install and a great price ($99). If your thinking about new ones these are very decent for the money. If you are mechanically inclined at all and know how to use a soldering iron you wont have ANY problems rewiring the speakers. I was alittle nervous about it but once I jumped in it was very easy. Just take your time and you will be fine. You can use the soldering iron to unsolder the factory connections and then redo them according to the link in the above post.

-JZ