Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speakers making crackling noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers making crackling noise

No, they arent blown.

They are in my buddy's car and I'm trying to help him out. They start crackling only when the radio is turned up to a high volume... the sound it is making is like when you tune your radio to a station that doesnt pick up frequency. Even when a cd is playing, it sounds like you are on a radio station with no signal (on top of the music that is being played). I dont have a clue what could be causing this... any ideas?
Old 05-05-2006, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Blown.......
Old 05-05-2006, 01:57 AM
Teching In

No, they arent blown.

When the volume is low, the music sounds just fine. Turn the volume up, the music still sounds fine, but the noise starts... turn the music down and its still there, mute the music and its still there.... the noise continues until the cd player is turned off.

Last edited by JoeJoes93TA; 05-05-2006 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What type of system is in there? Does it have an amp? Is it stock or aftermarket? Need details to troubleshoot properly.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JoeJoes93TA
No, they arent blown.

When the volume is low, the music sounds just fine. Turn the volume up, the music still sounds fine, but the noise starts... turn the music down and its still there, mute the music and its still there.... the noise continues until the cd player is turned off.
Then, the speakers are about to blow.. They're being under powered and are clipping
Old 05-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Its the stock system. Its in a 1997 Z28... only thing done stereo wise is a Pioneer cd player. How are they underpowered? They have worked fine until a couple days ago... I'm not arguing, just curious.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some of the responses people get in here crack me up.

Its either:
A.) Distortion in the music itself. Music from the radio usually has inconsistencies in it since its over the air. Or if its downloaded music it can have the same thing depending on the bit rate. More volume makes it more apparent.

B.) Whatever is powering the speakers is having issues keeping up, and its basically distortion caused by the power supply. In other words, his Pioneer deck is probably the issue.

C.) Lose wires on teh back of the speakers, but thats not very likely, especially with the stock speaker clips holding on back there.

Quick Reply: Speakers making crackling noise