Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tweets in the a-pillars...not good.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get an extra set, their cheap. Cutting a hole in them is easy as well, just cut a smaller hole and make sure it's centered. As you cut the hole larger you can shift it left, right, etc... so that it's exactly right.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonWW
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....0&postcount=24
Good response there. Very good response. You've been learning on the right path.

I learned how time allignment can help and kill a soundstage back in 2000-2002 when I had a Pioneer P1R and kept constantly trying to use the time alignment to crutch a shithole of a car along when it came to SQ. The pathways just plain sucked in the Geo I had to work with. Angle was too steep and way too close/far.

Usually if you made a good change somewhere, it would screw up another point of the stage. The problem is time alignment can't fix the entire issue just like a 1/3 EQ can't make a response totally smooth or flat. It can only help to make it better. That's why you'll always hear a good installer say 90% of a system is in the install. There is just no way to crutch along a shitty install or a shitty car.

The camaro is a decint vehicle to start with due to the cab forward design and the long pathways in the kick area. BUT the dash juts out pretty far and can impede the stage too.

Your leaving out one important thing.
"Usually the closer the speakers are horizontally together, the better the stage will be."

Meaning that the left side speakers image better when mounted vertically one on top of the other. Same for the right side. Our ears can hear very minute differences left to right, but are very bad in pinpointing sounds up and down. So you can mount the tweets much higher than the mids and as long as the left to right distance is small it will be hard to impossible to tell they are so far apart from one another.
Yes. I was kind of in a hurry to type it up. I tend to do that alot when I type. I have 1 complete thought in my head and about 1/2 of it goes on the paper. LOL

Are you talking about the tweeters only? That doesn't sound right, but I can't remember off hand how it's measured.
Yes/No It corresponds to both vertical and more so to horizontal differences. The higher the frequency the more directional the sound becomes. So the phasing changes are more pronounced to a point. It follows along with the way our ears actually hear. In a logarithmic way. With midrange frequencies is where our ears start to work in the resonant or natural harmonic range. Sort of like the Fs for our ears is roughly around 1500-2800. There is a point where certain frequencies are much much more pronounced to us vs other frequencies.

Since tweeters are in a very directional frequency range for our ears to perceive, it's more important for the tweeters to be properly adjusted to the midrange point of being. The biggest reason is if the tweeter is more forward or backwards from the midrange time line, the 2nd-5th harmonics will make the sound sound more artificial and draw attention to it'self. Most sounds like a 280 timbre drum can carry harmonics up into the 4400-8900 Hz range. These are the harmonics you'll hear about. If they are missing or misplaced/misdirected, the sound becomes more artificial sounding.

So it really means you have to get the midrange right 1st and then adjust the tweeters to fall in line with the Midrange next.

the exact measurement for the phase change I don't know. I just have always remembered the 180 rule for 1" variance. But I learned that about 10 years ago. It may be an outdated rule of thumb.

Quick Reply: Tweets in the a-pillars...not good.