Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: what company makes the best 6.5's
alpine
16.33%
boston acoustics
12.24%
clarion
0%
infinity
26.53%
JL
6.12%
kenwood
4.08%
monsoon
0%
pioneer
0%
rockford
2.04%
sony
0%
other
32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

who makes the best 6.5's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 12:30 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MB's arent what they used to be and Focal I really didnt think sounded as good as the Diamonds. Rainbow is a german company making so news, hi-end stuff. You can hear the Focals at Car Toys and the Diamonds at Magnolia hifi but do your shopping on ebay to save the most money.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todddchi
On a budget, I like JBL.
Splurging a little, I like MB Quarts.
Extreme high end, I don't know, because everything I buy is on a budget and considers the noise floor of a car is terribly high.

I'd like to hear Focals and Diamonds though, as they are so popular. Are there any common stores that carry them?

I have found Diamonds at a lot of car stereo shops....

http://www.diamondaudio.com/

depending on what happens soon (I might be leaving Iraq only to come right back in like 2 months) I want to start upgrading my stereo (car PC) and I want to put 2 sets of the Diamonds up from (only one pair of tweeters though)
Old 05-17-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

simply too many choices to say is the best.

MB quart, focals, kicker ss, diamond, jladuio, like I said, way to many to say that's it's the best.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it schools me on other brands that i've never heard of. but seems that they're too expensive for my taste.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

I have the alpine spr ls 17's too - 4 of them, plus the apline sps 170A for the rear hatch ( 2 of them) - right now i still have the factory system running the two backseat speakers through the crossover and it sounds good, im still finishing my system (car pc) but even with the stock amp running the speakers i had to sound deaden the car cause the bass bumps, and the sound qaulity it par. im pretty picky too because im a dj, so sound qaulity is a must for me. If i had to do it again though i would go with all alpine type X's 6.5's and sps 10c2s. or all boston acoustics. MB quarts can be ear peircing, but with the right sub, crossovers, and eq's they sound really good.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really lovin my new CDT CL-6's and CL-6E's. The CL-6's/6E's handle my RF Power amp with no problem. I was running Bostons...these CDT's blow them away. Bostons were nice..I'm not knockin them. The CDT's, ran on an amp, might be enough bass to negate the need for a sub for some people. I highly recommend these. By the way they are not that expensive...under $100.00 a pair on ebay new.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Banned

Checked out that CDT stuff...stamped steel baskets is not indicative of quality componants.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Banned

Ok I take back what I said about CDT. I checked with an audiophile I know and he said they were good so at the price they're asking for them how can you go wrong to check them out
Old 05-18-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly it's been probably 5 years since I stepped foot in a dedicated car stereo shop. The last three cars I've done have been from pure internet vendors... a little stuck in my ways, I guess.

I'd like to have some beefier 6.5"s in the doors of my vert (Alpine 170's now, not a bad speaker, but I'm not terribly fond of them), so I should probably start doing some listening again.

Originally Posted by Koncrete
I have found Diamonds at a lot of car stereo shops....

http://www.diamondaudio.com/

depending on what happens soon (I might be leaving Iraq only to come right back in like 2 months) I want to start upgrading my stereo (car PC) and I want to put 2 sets of the Diamonds up from (only one pair of tweeters though)
Old 05-18-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

I bought some cheap *** Lanzar mid basses that sounded good enough for me. I have a 10" sub though so I wasnt really concerned with monsterous bass from the sail panels and they were like $25 new shipped to my house
Old 05-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Okay in my opinion I believe that Infinity perfects are the best 6.5's for the money sound quality and durability. These speakers are crystal clear and have a crisp sound.This is not a biased opinion seeing how I have probably had every 6.5 under the sun. I have done many installs for people and heard hundreds of setups. I personally have found that infinity's (not just perfects but the reference and kappas too) are the best speaker i have ever heard. I will never go back to any other speaker. I have infinity 6.5's in my door's and in my back seat panels. I also have infinity perfect 6x9's in the back. And I have infinity perfect 12's in the rear hatch. I love them and they are very reasonable on the price. Now as far as amps go JBL all the way baby. Here are a few pics of what the 12's look like.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by rippenhard; 05-19-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to go with the less expensive CDT Classic series. The Eurosport Series components go for $750.00-$850.00...3-way Eurosports are $999.00. That's the upper end. They also have the High Definition (HD) Series which are around the $250.00-$300.00 range. Just like any company they have there lower end stuff too. However, There lower end is like most companies high end stuff. No stamped baskets on the upper end CDT stuff by the way!!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rippenhard
Okay in my opinion I believe that Infinity perfects are the best 6.5's for the money sound quality and durability. These speakers are crystal clear and have a crisp sound.This is not a biased opinion seeing how I have probably had every 6.5 under the sun. I have done many installs for people and heard hundreds of setups. I personally have found that infinity's (not just perfects but the reference and kappas too) are the best speaker i have ever heard. I will never go back to any other speaker. I have infinity 6.5's in my door's and in my back seat panels. I also have infinity perfect 6x9's in the back. And I have infinity perfect 12's in the rear hatch. I love them and they are very reasonable on the price. Now as far as amps go JBL all the way baby. Here are a few pics of what the 12's look like.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry but Infinitys are the best of the mid range speakers. I've had plenty of them and my friend currently uses them. They are not as good as Diamond, Focal or MB. They are the best of the middle priced, but are not in the same league as the big three. I'd have to listen to the CDT's to give an honest opinion on them. Infinity's are bright and metalic sounding in comparison.
Honestly the best thing anyone could do is listren to what your going to buy before you buy it. Everyones ears are different. Some people like to hear the treble as high as they can and think thats indicative of quality. Others like myself want a deep crystal clear sound image. The infinity's just arent as deep in sound is why I didnt choose them. They are certainly cheaper in price and I would have saved a few bucks but the sound quality wasnt what I was looking for.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 05-19-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Yeah but when your only paying maybe 300.00 for a set of componets compared to over a thousand I think you are getting alot more for what you pay for. And if you look at what I wrote before I said that they are the best for the money. Not that they were the best. Of course I could go out and pay thousand of dollars for speakers but personally I would rather use that money for perfomance upgrades.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Banned

I paid what Infinitys sells for at a store for my Diamonds on ebay.(my Diamonds were less than $300). Also why are you running all those speakers? Are you trying for an SPL award? I run front door speakers and one sub and get driven out of the car. I cant put the tweets above the steering wheels as its way to bright. I'd be interested to see what your car actualy sounded like. Where the sound stage is and how effective of a stereophonic stage it is. Are your rear fill speakers amplified? and what about the co-axes? what are you doing with them.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I paid what Infinitys sells for at a store for my Diamonds on ebay.(my Diamonds were less than $300). Also why are you running all those speakers? Are you trying for an SPL award? I run front door speakers and one sub and get driven out of the car. I cant put the tweets above the steering wheels as its way to bright. I'd be interested to see what your car actualy sounded like. Where the sound stage is and how effective of a stereophonic stage it is. Are your rear fill speakers amplified? and what about the co-axes? what are you doing with them.
I do know that when it comes to sound stage for bass, its better when a single sub or two is sitting in the trunk. I have a stealth box that I built myself, I noticed that bass is directed more towards the passenger side than the driver side. But I like it anyways since I dont have anything taking up trunk space anymore
Old 05-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Banned

Yep, the same basicaly. I'm using a single 10" in a stealth box on the drivers side and it hits hard. I dont even have the gains turned all the way up and it moves your hair when it hits. I'm impressed by what this G5 puts out. But as far as it being directional, no problems here. It surrounds you and hits you from all sides

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 05-22-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:19 AM
TECH Resident

Everyone is different, one speaker may sound good to you, but not to someone else. That's what makes the market fun. Choice!
It's like anything else, you get what you pay for, at least for the most part. If your looking at top notch quality, than paying 1k for a set of components isnt out of the ordinary. Let's not get the ricer mentality, you paid this or that. It's run what ya brung, and it works in the audio market too.

spl or sq doesn't come cheap, just like more horsepower.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sgt0704
just as the title says, what company makes the best 6.5's for our cars? and any paticular models?

MB Quart, hands down, you cant go wrong! Run MB Quarts 6.5 components up front and 6.5 coaxile rear. Best sound quality and last forever.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CamaroSS615
MB Quart, hands down, you cant go wrong! Run MB Quarts 6.5 components up front and 6.5 coaxile rear. Best sound quality and last forever.
Some hi end stores wont carry MB quart anymore due to their digression. They used to be top notch but are no longer.

Quick Reply: who makes the best 6.5's?