Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon issues

Okay i have some issues. I have the monsoon system in my 98 camaro, the speakers behind my seats are missing, the sail panel speakers.

and unless i play at low, low level, the rear speakers, and teh one in the front that works, sound crappy.

Ive been all over ebay, saw i can get 2 sail panel speakers for 80 bucks, the two rears for 54 and the two fronts for 100.

Thats 230 bucks roughly.

Would that be worth it to go back to completely stock? Or could i better invest that money in other speakers to get better quality.

I like bass, but dont want to go all out right now, im just looking to get a normal sounding system without spending a fortune.

I mean i got the money to go with the 250 convert back to stock with all the monsoon route, but is it worth it?

if not, what speakers would give okay performance in the front, mid, and rear?

I dont want to change the headunit either.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey there r some guys on here selling there monsoon speakers...peterlawl84 is selling is!! i said i would buy them but if u realy need them u can ask him! i bet he will give u a good deal (much better then ebay)!!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can do a lot better with $230 then just buying used stockers off eBay. Even if you are happy with the sound, you are still buying used speakers, and as you've found out already - they aren't very dependable.

- In the front buy a decent pair of coaxials and biwire them appropriately (see stickys). About $70.

- If you want to keep stock looks, then get a suitable pair of woofers for the sail panel. There are also many thread about appropriate "subs" to use, or just go with another pair of traditional 6.5". Another $70-120.

- If you are ok with adding a sub, then a 8" self contained tube would be feasible and keep you under the $230 total. Or you could splurge a little and get a stealthbox/10"/small amp.

- If you insist on having rear fill speakers, then simple 4" coaxials will fit the bill. You can get away with a pretty cheap pair because they are just for rear fill. Maybe $40.

Any of the above is going to end up being a lot better than just replacing with OEM.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

I would not spend that much to go back to stock. I'm in a similar situation. My HU quit playing CDs. I could spend ~$100 to buy a used one or $200 on a brand new decent Alpine. I'm holding out for the Alpine.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never really considered buy replacement stockers. Especially after reading up on the Monsoon speakers here in the forums.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:05 AM
Teching In

Get comfy, you have lots of reading to do:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...3&page=1&pp=20