Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

question about alarm systems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default question about alarm systems

so i got a job for summer and the first check goes to an alarm system for the bird.

don't have one and i need one after all the daymn money i've put into it. i live in charlotte and don't want to have it stole.

i'm going to have about $300 or so to play with. hopefully less...i don't want it to go away as fast as i'm making it...i want to save...(saving for my WS.6 this winter )

anyone have any suggestions on what kind of alarm would be good? cheap is not what i'm looking for...i want something GOOD...but not like rape me in cost...yah know...

thanks!

*edit* i will be installing by myself and the help of a friends dad who used to own his own stereo place in cali until he moved here...so just looking for a system to buy...not cost of labor and everything.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise is the number 1 deterent so Loud siren A good shock detector, a glass detector a hoodlock of any kind so they cannot just unlock the hood cut the siren wire and a battery back-up will save most vehicles ... installed correctly for sure!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If you have the factory keyless entry system you can get the Hornet 700T alarm by DEI that adds full alarm capability but retains use of the factory remotes. It is a good basic alarm that covers doors and impacts but it also has option ports for connecting additional sensors and other options. It is available online for around $70. Adding a battery backup, a perimeter sensor, and a hood switch will still keep it under your $300 target. It is easier to install than a full separate alarm system because it uses many of the functions of the factory keyless entry system.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

unfortunately i don't have anything...i'm one of the people that has to use the key to get in all the time...

there's not jack diddly on my car...that's why i wanna get some type of alarm...
Old 05-30-2006, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

i went up to the local Bass Car Audio and talked to the guys in there and they suggested the Clifford Matrix 10. they retail for $340 but they can sell it to me for really cheap because i know one of the guys...$215 with tax!

i'm thinking about getting it. has anyone had any past with this alarm? or clifford matrix? or clifford? lol...i'm new to the alarm game and did some research but still need some info...thanks!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

noone?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill have to look what alarm i got off ebay awhile ago it was $130.. 2 way pager the whole works retails for $400 and is better then 98% out there i havnt installed it yet but iv only heard good stuff about it.. ill look and post tomorrow
Old 05-31-2006, 09:15 AM
Teching In

I've got a Viper...not sure of the model number. It's ok, but the make-or-break deal on an alarm system is finding a good installer. I think the guy who installed mine was a jackass and hooked half of it up wrong. The indicator light never blinks, and sometimes the alarm will just "lock-up" and I have to use the stock keyless-entry to get in, then the alarm goes off, and I have to figure out how to stop it...so, yeah, make sure your friend's dad knows what he's doing!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any alarm made by DEI (python, viper, avital, etc.) is going to be good. I've always used python alarms. Installation is really easy. It looks intimidating and sounds confusing but it's not. I have a friend who works at a stereo shop and he always prints out the tech sheet for whatever car I'm installing the alarm on. I suggest you try and get one of them from a stereo shop if you can...they are very specific (ie. blue and yellow wire in grey plug above fuse box).