Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What year started 500 watt monsoon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 06:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What year started 500 watt monsoon?

I'm shopping for a camaro right now, was it the 2000 model year that started the 500 watt monsoon?
Old 06-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

There has been some controversy about this. My own research indicates that the 97 Camaro Monsoon system (which didn't even have Monsoon labels) had a 200W peak amplifier. The 97 amp is a different part number and is physically smaller than later models. In 98 they changed to a 200W RMS amplifier (although the rating is somewhat optimistic) which was used through the 02 models. In 2000, although using the same amp as before, they started listing it as a 500W system (peak power).

The Firebirds followed basically the same pattern although the amps are different from Camaros. The 10-speaker system (compared to Camaro's 8-speaker system) required a little more power so the amp was rated at 240W RMS but still 500W peak. Again, those ratings are very optimistic.

In any case, you would never notice the difference when listening so I certainly wouldn't base a buying decision on which rating the Monsoon amp has.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok... is there a noticeable difference in sound quality between the camaro and trans am?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Well, the imaging is maybe a little better in Firebirds because of the separate tweeters in the doors and the speakers seem less prone to blowing compared to Camaros but overall the sound is very much the same.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not enough to warrant a car buying decision on. T/A's have the advantage of having nice mounts in the doors for seperates from the factory. Which is nice, but not really something worth ignoring Camaro's to get.

If you are happy with the apperance and interior of a Camaro, TA's tend to cost a good bit more (at least around me). For similar condition cars you could usually put a system in a Camaro and end up being ahead of the start price of the TA.

Originally Posted by bigburb
ok... is there a noticeable difference in sound quality between the camaro and trans am?