Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Infinity 625.7i vs Alpine SPS-170A results

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Infinity 625.7i vs Alpine SPS-170A results

Well, as part of my ongoing saga to improve the sound in my convertible, I decided to give a pair of infinity 625.7i's a shot at replacing my previous Alpine SPS-170A's.

When I originally bought the car I had thoughts of keeping a very modest stereo, simply upgrading the speakers and keeping all the other monsoon stuff. But like with anything else this plan fell apart over time.

My goals were:

- Get rid of the Alpines due to the harshness of the tweeter at high volumes (personal preference)
- Improve midbass response / peak volume (infinities have a larger woofer, higher sensitivity, and are a 2ohm driver which pulls greater power from my Memphis amp)

I have to say that I am happy with the result. I did an A-B with one of each speaker installed, and the infinities achieved all of my goals, although I was suprised at how bright the infinity tweeter is still.

I also did some dynamatting at the same time, and this helped both drivers, as well as quieting my doors down. Even the Alpines were starting to set off some rattles here and there.

Given that the infinties were only $90 shipped, I'd have a hard time recommending the Alpines ($70-75 shipped when I bought them). I know there are better choices, just take this as a direct comparison between these two popular choices.

FYI my Alpines are available for $45 shipped, if anyone is interested. https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/523629-front-monsoon-upgrades-alpine-sps-170a-s-6-5-pair-45-shipped.html