Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Distortion/crackling- one speaker only. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 09:38 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Distortion/crackling- one speaker only. Ideas?

I have a 99 Z with the Monsoon system. About 2 weeks ago I started getting some crackling from the passenger front speaker. I thought it was a bad speaker so I went and bought some new ones- same problem. I took the old speaker and hooked it up to a home stereo I have and the sound was fine, put it back on the car and it was crap. Where do you think the problem lies? Maybe the Monsoon amp? Sounds like it is coming form the woofer anyway. Anybody ever have a similar problem?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

i have a similar problem and still cant figure out what it is but im also getting engine interference from the same speaker.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem with the same speaker. Swapped it out, tested it, and even swapped out the AMP. Still have the problem. I will be trying a new head unit within the next 7 days (depending on shipping). After I try that, I will post the results.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are sure is the woofer, then it is either the amplifier or the wiring between the amp and the door woofer. If it sounds like it might be the tweeter or both tweeter and woofer, then it is either the head unit or the wiring between the head, amp and tweeter. Unplug the amp and see if you can still here any distortion coming from the tweeter.

Quick Reply: Distortion/crackling- one speaker only. Ideas?