Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

6x9's

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6x9's

I have a 1998 TransAm WS-6. I am looking to replace all of my speakers. I work for Circuit City and purchased some speakers directly from eclipse, although I musta been drunk or something because instead of purchasing the 6 1/2's I got 6x9's. How difficult is it to modify my car to fit these speakers and where should i stick em? Thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

be prepared to do some cutting. And then the plastic will be in part of the way.

Double check your order from eclipse and make sure they didn't send you the wrong speakers.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Teching In

I've installed the 6x9's in my 00 Camaro, and it can easily be done in a day. I started around 2 on a saturday afternoon, after playing 3 hours of soccer, and worked until about 7, then another 2-3 hours the following Sunday and I had 6x9's in, 4x6's in the hatch, and installed an amp. I am happy with the way it sounds. The 6x9's don't rattle or hit the plastic panelling in front of them. Definately pay attention to what direction you mount the speakers and what is behind that area.

Oh, and make sure you have a dremel or something of the likes to make the cuts.

Pat
Old 06-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

don't bother with the 6x9's

return them and get some 6.5" components up front. leave all other speakers (with the exception of your substage) in the dust.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

to be honest, it is easy as shiiiit.. i put 6x9's in the back of my 96 Z, i just gotta 99 ss, and i am gonna put them in there too.. just get a sawzall and it should be easy.. just gotta kinda eye it and cut.. took me no more than 5 minutes per side, and i got the speakers to fit flush.. it was a thousand times easier than i thought it would be. it sounds amazing.. words cant describe.. they are the infinity reference series btw... here are the pics..

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245940

any way... 6 1/2's dont sound half as good as 6x9's. if you take off the whole plastic cover around the speakers, it looks like the speakers came in the car. u wont be disappointed.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed 6x9's in the rear hatch section of my 00 SS and it only took about an hour. But you have to cut the plastic section of the speaker enclosure out. It was really worth it....the system sounds extremely better.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
I installed 6x9's in the rear hatch section of my 00 SS and it only took about an hour. But you have to cut the plastic section of the speaker enclosure out. It was really worth it....the system sounds extremely better.
In a Camaro, replacing the 4" midrange in the rear hatch with any decent full range speaker makes a huge difference. Not so with a Trans-Am that has tweeters and mids in the rear to complement the woofers in the sail panels.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS

have any pics??
Old 06-21-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

the only reason i wouldnt put anything else but 4"s in the rear, is because there is no type of enclosure for the speakers. i bet if u put the 6x9's where the sail pannel speakers go you would notice a HUGE difference from where they are now.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DarkCloud
the only reason i wouldnt put anything else but 4"s in the rear, is because there is no type of enclosure for the speakers. i bet if u put the 6x9's where the sail pannel speakers go you would notice a HUGE difference from where they are now.
When I had my system in my 98, I just disconnected the 4" speakers in the back. Like some of the other replies, I would send the 6x9's back and get 6.5's component set for the front and a pair of 6.5's for the backseat area.