Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sail Pannel Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sail Pannel Speakers

So i just picked up my ss about a week ago. and i noticed my sail pannel speakers arent working, which is odd (or not) because neither did the ones in my 96 Z(i ended up rewiring them). i did some reading in this subject, and saw that they are considered subs.. how quiet is the sound?? so much that i woulnt hear it with my ear next to the speaker??? i took one of them out today, and it looks like it has never even been used. no rips or nothin. the front and trunk speakers work.. just not the middle ones. any ideas?? also, where is the amp for them? (its a monsoon 12 disc btw.)
Old 06-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Teching In

They were like that in my ss too....pull the speakers and see if the stock wiring is connected to those speakers if it is then its probably just blown out....turn up the sound a little and push in the cone of the speaker you should feel it start working meaning the cone seperated from the coil....just replace the speakers
Old 06-21-2006, 08:03 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

I got the Infinity Kappa 62.7i (2ohm) speakers for the sail panel.

The plastic adapter is a little thick and I also had to trim it, but all in all they sounded great. As I replaced the blown one I tested it and the Infinity sounded a little bit better then the stock one I had yet to replace on the other side. They're both in now and it sounds pretty good.

I have one extra door speaker, but when one of them goes I think that I'll skip replacing it with another stocker and slap these same speakers in the doors as well. And maybe run a wire off of that 4ohm tweater wire to the tweater in the sail speakers.

Sometimes it can be hard to find the wire colors, so I post them again for you guys:

Sail panel speaker wire colors

Driver side: Dark blue w/ white stripe = speaker (+)
Light green w/ black stripe = Speaker (-)

Passenger: Dark green = speaker (+)
Light blue w/ black stripe = speaker (-)

Your amp is near your spare tire is at, up a ways closer to the sail panel.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would be easier to tap off of the rear hatch speakers to have a tweeter input to your sail panels. Plus you would still have fade control.

Myself, I simply replaced my 4" mids for 4" coaxials. So I have tweeters in the back, now. It made a noticeable difference.

For my sails, I use Pioneer TS-M7PRS 6.75" Midbasses. I think they're great, but at $200 a pair, might be out of some folks price comfort zone.

Last edited by HiTechGent; 06-21-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

i got replacement speakers... infinity reference series 6x9's (they sounded sweet in my 96 z) but my other car the speakers werent blown.. and these dont look blown. on my other car i rewired the speakers directly from the HU, and they worked fine. soo i dunno.. i just didnt feel like having to run wires again....
Old 06-21-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GM calls these subs, but they are really midbasses. And they should be loud enough to here from the front seat. Disconnect the hatch speakers and turn the fader all the way to the rear, if you get nothing out of either sail speaker, it's possible the amplifier is bad or the wiring to the sails is bad. The most common problem with stock Monsoon speakers is the surround seperates from the frame, this makes them sound horribly distorted. When my door speaker went, I couldn't stand to have the stereo on in the car. I've since replaced all my speakers. I think it sounds better than when it was new.

I doubt you'll be able to fit 6x9's in your sail panels without cutting metal. But you could certainly use them to make sure you have signal there from the amplifier.

If your 6x9's are are shallow enough, and you want to use them, they could work in the rear hatch area in place of the 4" mids. Of course, you'll have to cut the plastic trim panels, but that's far easier than trying to fit them in sail positions. You may have to adjust the fader control some as the power to those speakers are not amplified as much as the sub channels to the sail panel. But at least the signals are full-range. If you do that, you could just forget about the sail speaker all together.

Note: If you like lots of bass, you'll never be satisfied with anything less than a true sub-woofer powered by a dedicate sub-amp. You just are not going to get alot of thump from a 6 inch woofer, period.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

alright yea.. the speakers are blown.. i used the "push on the middle" technique. about the 6x9's they fit perfect.. you only have to cut a little metal, and it only takes a couple of minutes.. i had em in my z.. i just needa take time to get them out and reinstall em. thanks for the help.