Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to wrap plastic panels in vinyl???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to wrap plastic panels in vinyl???

I used the 3m adhesive on both pieces on the top part of the stock plastic pieces. But how do I wrap it around and attach the vinyl to the back of the plastic pieces. I used stapes on my mdf boards but I can't cause the stapes will go through the plastic pieces. Any ideas?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Restricted User

glue on the back side as well... but good luck. Most adheasives will not stick to this plastic at all... Here is how I do it:

1- sand the plastic with 80 grit, get it good and rough
2- thourougly clean the plastic of all oils. SEM makes a cleaner specially for this.
3- spray the plastic with adheasion promoter
4- spray high build polyester primer

that will give you a good surface for your glue to stick to. But forget about any rattle can 3m stuff, you need to use auto grade contact cement. Landau top adheasive specifially works great.

mike
Old 07-01-2006, 01:47 AM
Launching!

Here a good trick I have learned. If the vynyl has a thick cloth backing you can use a high heat glue gun. Not the cheap $5 wal-mart guns, but a good high temp one. I have had wraped plastic in my car on others cars for a couple years without any problems.

Quick Reply: How to wrap plastic panels in vinyl???