Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring Question ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DVD Wiring Question ?

So i got the jensen dvd player for my b-day. i like it. the only question is that damned pink wire. i'm trying to by pass the parking brake, that way when i have my kids with me, they can watch too.. i wired it to the radio ground. and the dvd isn't working. did i wire it wrong? should i wire it to another ground? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sgt0704; 07-02-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

The pink wire isn't ground - it's the power antenna control. Some newer DVD players won't work even if you ground the safety wire. They need to have certain signals in a particular order (such as brake light power followed by parking brake ground). Some even have motion sensors.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the pink wire is the parking wire. it's supposed to go to the parking brake. but some were saying to ground it out. i'm just trying to find out where they ground it out.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the pink wire in the factory harness - I guess you meant a pink wire in the aftermarket HU harness. If it is designed to go to the parking brake switch then grounding it will do the same thing because the parking brake switch just goes to ground. However, as I said, some models of newer players can't just have the wire permanently grounded. The manufacturers have gotten wise to that trick and designed their HUs to require other verification that the car isn't moving.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you could provide make and model that would help, there are units out there which bypass the security on tricky models.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i figured it out. basically, there's a brake sequence that has to be followed to get the thing to come on. basically, you turn the car on, drop the "brake", then pull it up again. so i wired a ground to a toggle switch, and wired the pink wire to the other end of the toggle. so i can get that 1 sec "relay" that the dvd player needs for the sequence. i'll post pics later. i know everyone flames the jensen radio. but the dvd player is pretty sweet. it brought my jl's to life. much better than the monsoon hu. and i'm still using the monsoon amp.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sgt0704
i figured it out. basically, there's a brake sequence that has to be followed to get the thing to come on. basically, you turn the car on, drop the "brake", then pull it up again. so i wired a ground to a toggle switch, and wired the pink wire to the other end of the toggle. so i can get that 1 sec "relay" that the dvd player needs for the sequence. i'll post pics later. i know everyone flames the jensen radio. but the dvd player is pretty sweet. it brought my jl's to life. much better than the monsoon hu. and i'm still using the monsoon amp.
Sounds good (no pun intended)
Old 07-03-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

updated with pics

this is the switch i had to put in to "trick" the dvd player into thinking that the parking brake was on.