Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Cyberdyne digital gauge problem – please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cyberdyne digital gauge problem – please help

I just installed a Cyberdyne digital water temperature gauge. However, I have a problem in that it automatically goes into the "adjustment mode" whenever I start the car while is dark outside. It seems the problem is the "dimmer" logic (which works the same way for all of their gauges). When +12v is applied to the purple wire, the display dims. You are supposed to hook the purple wire to the headlight circuit so that when you turn the lights on the display dims. However, if you want to enter the "adjustment mode" their instructions say to turn on the lights BEFORE you start the car. That’s fine if your lights are always controlled by a manual switch. But if it’s dark outside, the dashboard sensor on the Camaro turns the lights on automatically and instantly. This causes the gauge to go into adjustment mode when I don’t want it to.

Does anyone know how to get around this?
Old 07-02-2006, 07:38 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sending to Electronics.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

I called Cyberdyne’s technical assistance number today. What they told me is that the only way around my problem is to remove the light sensor or to put the purple wire on a toggle switch and turn the dimmer on manually after the engine has been started.

It doesn’t seem like much of a solution to me. I told her this had to be a common problem and surely someone has figured out a better way. She said people rarely install Cyberdyne gauges on newer street cars that have automatic headlights. Usually people buy them only for off-road racecars or for street rods that pre-date automatic headlights. Therefore, they don’t see it an issue. I disagree but, regardless, they were no help.

I had an idea on my own but need advice because I’m not all that knowledgeable on electronics. My thought is that I could install a time-delay relay. Specs would be something like:
  • a one or two second delay in switching on the power
  • 12 volts
  • maybe 1 or 2 amps
Does anyone know if such a thing exists? If so, where would I buy one? And, what sort of price are we talking about?
Old 07-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disable your dashboard sensor.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buy a time delay relay. Hook the coil side up to the auto headlight wire and ground. Then hook one side of the switch to the auto headlight wire and the other to your headlight sensor in the gauge. Then just simply set your time delay for the gauge. This would be a simply application of a TD relay.

Enjoy!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WinMan
Just buy a time delay relay. Hook the coil side up to the auto headlight wire and ground. Then hook one side of the switch to the auto headlight wire and the other to your headlight sensor in the gauge. Then just simply set your time delay for the gauge. This would be a simply application of a TD relay.

Enjoy!
Thanks. Not being into electronics, I wasn't sure if I could find a suitable relay or if such a thing even existed. I have now found these online:

AMPERITE CO. Model # 12D.2-20SST1A
AMPERITE CO. Model # 12D.1-20SST1

From what I can figure, either one sounds like it would be perfect. Would you agree? They are, though, a bit pricier than I had in mind.

It would be a very easy installation. Would you have any other suggestions on where I might buy one?

BTW, the wire I had tapped into is a brown wire I found in the schematics in the back of a Haynes repair manual. It is hot whenever either the parking lights or headlights are on regardless of whether they were switched on by the ambient light sensor or by the headlight switch. The brown wire runs to all of the running lights, the instrument cluster, the dimmer switch and to the radio so it was easy to locate a spot to tap into without much effort.

Quick Reply: Cyberdyne digital gauge problem – please help