Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Who has a remote start on their car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one. Too lazy to install it. Just don't have the time.

Of course now I have the time. Next time I will do it myself. Save my $300 bucks.

Make sure you add the window module while you have it all apart. Ok, not all models have it.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I hate to disagree with you but your car will not move if left in gear with a properly adjusted parking brake. Sure, it will rock a little as the starter tries to turn over the engine. The starter motor just isn't powerful enough to overcome the weight of the car and the resistance of the brake being applied. Try it yourself - sit in your car with the brake applied and let up the clutch without giving it any gas. The car will stall. If the engine doesn't produce enough power at idle to move against the brake then obviously the starter motor doesn't either.

Note: many (if not most) cars don't have the parking brake properly adjusted.
I will agree to that, but i dont think the factory has them tight enough..well maybe vw..
Old 07-12-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have remote start, installed myself. CompuStar brand, love this alarm. best one I've ever owned, cool key fog too!

Yes they do make remote starts that will use the factory key fob. Seen them before.

CompuStar makes an alarm that will work with either an A4 or M6. You have to specify which you have when you order. You have to do something before you get out that verify's it's outta gear. I don't remember what it is, I'm sure the CompuStar site will tell you.

No you can't use the EBrake ground wire for remote start, at least with the Avital (aka DEI) brand. I tried with my 93 with a relay (required +12v to allow the remote start to work) every time you'd remote start it it'd make the relay click a few times and it'd crank. I hoped it would work, but nope.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
...No you can't use the EBrake ground wire for remote start, at least with the Avital (aka DEI) brand. I tried with my 93 with a relay (required +12v to allow the remote start to work) every time you'd remote start it it'd make the relay click a few times and it'd crank. I hoped it would work, but nope.
The object here is to come up with some way that the remote start can be disabled if the parking brake isn't engaged. To that end, you select any wire on the remote start module that requires a ground in order to make it engage (it can be the module's primary ground if you want) and you connect it to the parking brake switch. The parking brake switch provides ground when engaged but not when when disengaged so the remote start module would have no ground unless the brake is used. Alternatively, if you'd rather, you can use a relay to turn off the power to the module unless the brake is engaged.

This may not be in the module's installation instructions but it can be used as an additional safety check for manual transmission vehicles. It will work with any make of remote starter as long as you pick a wire that must be connected to ground (or power) for the module to work.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That's how the Avital worked, but need a +12V to not engage the remote start, hence why I used a relay. I know techincally it should work, but just wouldn't work for that alarm for sure, trust me I tried. Now with other alarm I think it should have no problem. I had an Avital in the hawk, lasted 1.5 years and started remote staring BY ITSELF. That's when I got the CompuStar and put it in... All good ever since!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The object here is to come up with some way that the remote start can be disabled if the parking brake isn't engaged. To that end, you select any wire on the remote start module that requires a ground in order to make it engage (it can be the module's primary ground if you want) and you connect it to the parking brake switch. The parking brake switch provides ground when engaged but not when when disengaged so the remote start module would have no ground unless the brake is used. Alternatively, if you'd rather, you can use a relay to turn off the power to the module unless the brake is engaged.

This may not be in the module's installation instructions but it can be used as an additional safety check for manual transmission vehicles. It will work with any make of remote starter as long as you pick a wire that must be connected to ground (or power) for the module to work.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Default aftermarket remote start are NOT compatable with GM vehicles !

Be sure to remove your aftermarket remote start before you take your GM vehicle in to the dealer for warrenty work because they will VOID your warrenty. They have a service bulletin [ document ID # 1424672 ] that states in part, " CATALYTIC CONVERTER DAMAGE DUE TO INSTALLATION OF AFTERMARKET ALARM / REMOTE START SYSTEMS " # 02-06-05-004A (JAN 9,2004) . It causes an over rich signal to clog the cats. until performance deteriorates to the point your service engine light will come on & will not go out ! Hey , if theres a chance its going to effect performance when I'm looking for every little horse power I can possibly muster up, **** it ! I'll use the ignition key .