Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New system install. Do it myself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To make life easier, pull all the seats out of the car. Takes ~15 minutes with basic hand tools.

It would also be helpful to remove the center console, but that involves messing with the parking brake which is a pain. I just loosened mine up and lifted slightly (the 8 ball atop the shifter had to come out).

I couldn't get the carpeting out entirely, but lifted it in most areas. I ran new wires to all the speakers too.

Biggest headaches included getting the amp rack wired up and installed.

Here's a link to some pics. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....68&postcount=5

Those are very nice amps too... I question the need for 2 subs for an fbody though. I'm quite happy with the single 10" in the stealth box. In fact, most times it's turned down because the bass is quite plentiful (for my tastes)

For wiring, check out knukonceptz.com.. very good prices. I went with their 17 or 18' 4 channel patch cord.

The following is what I ordered..

KRY4.6M
Krystal Kable 4 Channel 6M Twisted Pair RCA Cable
$29.99
$29.99
KOL-AK4
Complete 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit
$31.99
$31.99
GMBT
General Motors Side Post Battery Terminal
$3.99
$3.99
FB-3438
Three Output AGU Fuse Distribution Block
$7.49
$7.49
eKo-4BL
eKo Kable 4AWG Metallic Blue Power/Ground Cable
$0.79
$7.90
KOL8RS
Kolossus Kable 8 Gauge Red/Silver Power Wire
$0.45
$4.50

There might be some other pieces too, but I can't find the email for those.

Good luck
Old 07-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NOIR
lol I just got a quote on an install, while somewhat reasonable. It still makes me want to install the system myself. I've done nearly all the work thus far to my car myself (with a friends help ofcourse.) But the only electrical work I've done is my e-cutout install.

Now would a new system be tough to do? Components up front, multi amp, 2 subs in back, mono amp, and a headunit with humount face plate. How long would this take, does anyone know a good install guide? I know some people who have done their own installs and I know with the right directions, tools, time, and a little help, Im capable of doing nearly anything on my car. But I'd like to know what im getting myself in to first.

Yes, you can do it yourself. But most of the time they say if its not done by a professional it can void out the warrenty on your audio equipment.But I dont know how they really could tell if it wasent done by a professional. Depends on what all you are installing, the hardest part is gonna be running the wires from the battery to the rear of the car. Other than that you will be fine.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GPZ:
Thanks bud, this should be a huge help! I really appreciate it.

CamaroSS615:
Most of my stuff is coming from eBay and the likes anyway, so its no biggie.
Thats what I keep hearing, running the wires. Thats not a problem, just time consuming im sure. Its the wiring of the units that has me a little worried, I mean ill ffigure it out by hook or by crook. But that seems to be the only real "complicated" part of the whole thing. Which wire goes to which plug in series or parallel and all that jazz. Caps, wire types and sizes, and all the little doodads and gadgets that come with the main components. lol Gotta figure all that stuff out.

Last edited by NOIR; 07-11-2006 at 04:50 PM.