Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

stock amp

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006 | 11:47 PM
Launching!

Default stock amp

Anyone have a part # for the Stock Amp on the 2001 SS Camaro Monsoon stereo system (its the amp located near the spare tire).

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 07-11-2006 | 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

P/n 16257161
Old 07-11-2006 | 11:03 AM
Launching!

Thanks alot man, greatly appreciated. I see that its majorly expensive though, and I would need that for my sail-panel speakers to work..Plus some other wiring work and stuff. Do you guys think it'd be better to chunk that crap out (sail speakers) and go with a different set-up, or would money be so much more than just buying that amp that i'd just be better there?

If a different set-up can you guys list some opinions of systems and cost?

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 07-11-2006 | 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ckingcmaro
Thanks alot man, greatly appreciated. I see that its majorly expensive though, and I would need that for my sail-panel speakers to work..Plus some other wiring work and stuff. Do you guys think it'd be better to chunk that crap out (sail speakers) and go with a different set-up, or would money be so much more than just buying that amp that i'd just be better there?

If a different set-up can you guys list some opinions of systems and cost?

Thanks,
Caleb
Is the amp bad or your sail panel speakers bad?

If the amp was bad the door speakers would not work either, except the tweeters.
Old 07-11-2006 | 11:42 AM
Launching!

Well the problem is, that I have no amp.. Somehow it got jacked either by the guy that I bought it from, or someone jacked it from him... The speakers are good though, I checked those yesterday. But, the wiring seems to be bad, as though they are touching somewhere, there's no circuit in the wiring....And I don't really know how to figure that out, other than jerking everything out and rewiring all of it...My door speakers work, also my hatch 4" speakers work. I've also been wondering something, why are the 6.5"'s 2olhm and then the little 4" in the back 4olhms? I am clueless about audio and things of this sort, so help is greatly appreciated, and my dad doesn't have the time to help me work on this.

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 07-11-2006 | 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

There is a sticky at the top explaining how the monsoon system is set up, rather than me explaining it here.

Yiou can use a voltmeter and set it to ohms and check the wiring.
Old 07-11-2006 | 12:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Well the problem is, that I have no amp.. Somehow it got jacked either by the guy that I bought it from, or someone jacked it from him... The speakers are good though, I checked those yesterday. But, the wiring seems to be bad, as though they are touching somewhere, there's no circuit in the wiring....And I don't really know how to figure that out, other than jerking everything out and rewiring all of it...My door speakers work, also my hatch 4" speakers work. I've also been wondering something, why are the 6.5"'s 2olhm and then the little 4" in the back 4olhms? I am clueless about audio and things of this sort, so help is greatly appreciated, and my dad doesn't have the time to help me work on this.

Thanks,
Caleb
Okay, I'm confused. You say the amp is missing but yet your door and hatch speakers are working. Unless the wiring has been modified by the previous owner, that's just not possible - unlike the Firebird, all eight speakers in the Camaro are powered by the amp. It sounds like the previous owner may have done a hack job to bypass the amp and that's why the speakers don't work.
Old 07-11-2006 | 12:21 PM
Launching!

That was my understanding all, so i'm not sure whats going on, and I don't know how to tell, or fix it, so can someone gimme some ideas to what the hell this guy did or whatever... All my speakers work except for the sail-panels, but the speakers are good, not blown. But the wiring at the sail panels shows not circuit when I checked it by a meter.. So where do I go from here?
Old 07-11-2006 | 02:46 PM
Launching!

From my understanding the Hatch and front runs off of the head unit, while the sail panels run only off of the amp? Am i correct on this? I could really use some help in figuring this out guys, I'd rather not take it to some audio shop and me waste money that could be done by myself for free... Please help.
Old 07-11-2006 | 03:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

From my understanding the Hatch and front runs off of the head unit, while the sail panels run only off of the amp? Am i correct on this? I could really use some help in figuring this out guys, I'd rather not take it to some audio shop and me waste money that could be done by myself for free... Please help.
Not on a Camaro. The Monsoon amp is an 8-channel setup and is used to power all eight speakers. It's different on the 10-speaker Firebird system - the eight channels are used for the mids and DVC subs so the tweeters (both front and rear) run off the head unit.
Old 07-11-2006 | 04:54 PM
Launching!

Ok, well I have my system working now took some wiring fixing and some saudering but its working now. The only problem is, the guy i bought the car from, wired everything up to the headunit...So I have no amp, its all wired up to the HU... So, what problems will this cause me in the future? I'd really like to upgrade my speakers to something better and put subs in the back? So how would I go by doing all this being with it all wired to the HU?