Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can you change the head unit and keep the Monsoon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you change the head unit and keep the Monsoon?

I heard you can't do this from a guy at Best Buy but wanted to check here. Basically what I want to do is, just replace the factory Monsoon CD head unit with an aftermarket head unit and be able to keep the Monsoon amp and the sound quality without having to buy anything else. I just want to replace the headunit and nothing else. Is this possible?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is possible. It just requires you to change some wiring. Not a very hard job, but I couldn't tell you that much of the "How" and "Dont' do" parts, other guys know alot about this than me. Someone else will probably chime in sometime soon. Goodluck bro.
The following users liked this post:
Paules94Z (05-30-2020)
Old 07-11-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, all you need is the wiring harness and mounting kit to install the new headunit and should be fine. if your going to that best buy in florence they dont know ****, i could hook up the headunit for you no problem. im in independence kentucky and gonna be installin my headunit in my car actually sometime soon just shoot me a pm is you need any help.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

oh yeah and of course the antenna adaptor.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Lesson of the day:

Do not listen to stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.. So many people will get ripped off or dissapointed.. Just ask on your friendly forums about it.. I remember a buddy of mine was changing out the Monsoon in his 2001 Grand Am Gt and putting kickers and a diff head unit in it, they told him that he had to buy all sorts of adapters like 2 diff harnesses and the antena adapter had to be special ordered for like 110$.. Buncha bs..

Anyways, good look on your system bro, hope it sounds great.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

I kind of figured he was full of it, that is why I have you guys here! I didn't want to go out and buy something and have it not work. From what I have read through searches you just have to get a factory wiring harness and there is also something out there that will make the controls on the wheel still work. Still need to clear that up and get some recommendations on head units. Then I will give it a try!
Old 07-11-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

all you need for the factory steering wheel controls to work is another adaptor plug. Search is your friend.
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacswisteerw.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...wheel+controls
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....14&postcount=2
Old 07-11-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, there are some things to clear up which will help you:

- The deck install is the same as any other standard GM install, a straight wiring harness install with an antenna adapter plug and dash kit like 5 billion other GM cars. The monsoon amp and system runs off of the high level outputs of your new deck, so it could care less what deck is there so long as it is sending out speaker level signals.

- Because of this, do try to choose a head unit with a strong internal amplifier. Any of the common 15-20 rms head units in the mainstream will be fine, but you should take care to avoid really junky $50 head units that have bad 5-10watt internal amps.

- To retain steering wheel controls you need to be sure your new radio has a remote sensor. Obviously the easiest way here to know is if the radio comes with it's own remote control. You'll also need a PAC unit as linked above, costing about $30-50 depending upon how you get it. There are some different versions of the PAC unit which will work hardwired (better) to certain Alpine and Pioneer stereos, but most people just stick with the generic PAC unit, which can be programmed using your radio's remote control. If you use this programmable PAC unit (which most likely you will) you do have to mount the IR emitter somewhere in the car. This requires an extra step, possibly same drilling or creative mounting somewhere in the car. The emitter needs line of sight or reliable reflective line of sight to the radio's IR sensor.

- It is also worth considering a head unit with built-in active crossovers for the speakers. The monsoon system can be made to sound quite a bit better if you have the ability to filter out 40-60hz signals before the amp sees them. The factory speakers can't handle this range anyways and distort just trying. Effectively you are just tossing bass blockers on without the hassle.

Pick the right head unit up front, get your install stuff and PAC unit at the same time, and you'll be done in no time. You'll spend more time dialing the PAC unit up and mounting the sensor than the rest of the radio.
The following users liked this post:
AntiPeaceMilitias (01-29-2022)
Old 07-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Launching!

If you're not too picky this will work for you.

If you are, the head unit will open up a big can of worms... You won't be satisfied until you've redone the whole system.

I started out the same way. First the HU, then figured I'd get away with just replacing the speakers... Still didn't sound good to me... Ultimately, everything you see in the sig got installed.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

I am more than happy with the way the monsoon system sounds, I just want to get a different head unit because my display is screwed and I don't feel like fixing it, and I want something that will play MP3 cd's and connection for my iPod all built in. So if I don't lose any sound quality by changing the headunit, I am content with that.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BrianB
I am more than happy with the way the monsoon system sounds, I just want to get a different head unit because my display is screwed and I don't feel like fixing it, and I want something that will play MP3 cd's and connection for my iPod all built in. So if I don't lose any sound quality by changing the headunit, I am content with that.

Yes I hear you. My display messes up at times and dosen't show the numbers. I am thinking about an upgrade to.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok i got the wire harness and the plastic dash adapter and a new alpine HU but in the back of my monsoon HU there is 2 wire harnesses one is the regular one and the other has 6 wires coming out of it how do i hook it up or do i just leave that one alone? im lost
Old 07-31-2006, 08:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The extra connector is for the external CD changer. It's there whether you have a changer or not. You can just leave it disconnected.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Teching In

I need the head unit wire colors and where they go.

00ps for a 2002 camero monsoon

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10-09-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 10-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Rick Tobin
I need the head unit wire colors and where they go.

00ps for a 2002 camero monsoon
First, you do not need the wire colors. You need to buy a wire harness adapter for about $10 that attaches to an aftermarket head unit matching wires color for color (red to red, yellow to yellow, etc.) and then plugs into the factory connector so that you don't have to butcher the factory wiring. It is available at any auto parts store and even Walmart.

Second, if you really did need the wire colors, they are all listed in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.

It's a shame to have revived a seven year old thread.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:26 AM

Default Monsoon help

Originally Posted by todddchi
Well, there are some things to clear up which will help you:

- The deck install is the same as any other standard GM install, a straight wiring harness install with an antenna adapter plug and dash kit like 5 billion other GM cars. The monsoon amp and system runs off of the high level outputs of your new deck, so it could care less what deck is there so long as it is sending out speaker level signals.

- Because of this, do try to choose a head unit with a strong internal amplifier. Any of the common 15-20 rms head units in the mainstream will be fine, but you should take care to avoid really junky $50 head units that have bad 5-10watt internal amps.

- To retain steering wheel controls you need to be sure your new radio has a remote sensor. Obviously the easiest way here to know is if the radio comes with it's own remote control. You'll also need a PAC unit as linked above, costing about $30-50 depending upon how you get it. There are some different versions of the PAC unit which will work hardwired (better) to certain Alpine and Pioneer stereos, but most people just stick with the generic PAC unit, which can be programmed using your radio's remote control. If you use this programmable PAC unit (which most likely you will) you do have to mount the IR emitter somewhere in the car. This requires an extra step, possibly same drilling or creative mounting somewhere in the car. The emitter needs line of sight or reliable reflective line of sight to the radio's IR sensor.

- It is also worth considering a head unit with built-in active crossovers for the speakers. The monsoon system can be made to sound quite a bit better if you have the ability to filter out 40-60hz signals before the amp sees them. The factory speakers can't handle this range anyways and distort just trying. Effectively you are just tossing bass blockers on without the hassle.

Pick the right head unit up front, get your install stuff and PAC unit at the same time, and you'll be done in no time. You'll spend more time dialing the PAC unit up and mounting the sensor than the rest of the radio.

I installed a new head unit and it seems like my monsoon amp isn't powering the speakers. Its a jvc. My door speakers sound like garbage compared to what they sounded like with the stock head unit. It's like the head unit is powering them. Any reason as to why? I also have 2 alpine type r 12s with an aftermarket amp. 2004 volkswagen golf

Last edited by Carl1580; 10-16-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I hope you don't mean that you have a 2004 Volkswagon Golf with a Monsoon. Although that model was available with a Monsoon audio system, it is nothing like the one in GM F-bodies. For that matter, even the Monsoon systems in Camaros and Firebirds are different from each other. If it is a VW system, you would have much better luck asking in a VW forum.

If it is a 4th generation F-body and you used a proper wiring harness adapter to make the connections then your problem is likely in the head unit settings. I suspect you have the speaker level output turned off in favor of the pre-amp (RCA) outputs.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
First, you do not need the wire colors. You need to buy a wire harness adapter for about $10 that attaches to an aftermarket head unit matching wires color for color (red to red, yellow to yellow, etc.) and then plugs into the factory connector so that you don't have to butcher the factory wiring. It is available at any auto parts store and even Walmart.

Second, if you really did need the wire colors, they are all listed in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.

It's a shame to have revived a seven year old thread.
I know it's a shame to reply in this forum, but I just want to be sure I clearly understand what I've read. Any aftermarket radio will work with monsoon amp and speaker system if the wiring harness is used. My car is an 02 firebird coupe
Old 07-01-2017, 08:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Correct. Any aftermarket headunit will work with the Monsoon. All you need: Wiring Harness, Antenna Adapter, and Mounting kit. If you want to install a Double-Din, you'll need a new face-plate with a larger opening and trim the opening in the car to fit. Metra makes all the wiring, bracket, and face-plate you'll need.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Will all 8 speakers still work? I didn't think the wiring harness listed all of them.

Quick Reply: Can you change the head unit and keep the Monsoon?