Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone Install An Avic N3 or Eclipse AVN5435 In A TA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Anyone Install An Avic N3 or Eclipse AVN5435 In A TA?

Has anyone installed an Avic N3 or Eclipse AVN5435 into a Trans Am? If so do you have pictures and how hard was it? What all has to be modified to make the N3 fit and what has to be modified to make the AVN 5435 fit? I have heard you have to cut part of the stuff around the hvac controls off, and the little basket that your monsoon sits on off to make a dual din fit. I also heard that there is a tab on the back of the divider above the a/c controls that has to be removed and that I may have a problem with the a/c ducting being in the way. I want it to look as clean as possible, basically like it came from the factory with nothing sticking out, I want it flush mounted. Also what about the wiring harness? Is it just plug and play or do I need to get one from somewhere and if I need to get one were from? Also how will the speakers sound with a aftermarket headunit? I am planning on also upgrading them in the future, but don't have the funds to upgrade them now. I know is a lot to read, sorry for that.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-14-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

the avic n3 is a din size, no mods needed.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

ttt........
Old 07-15-2006, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

your looking at lots of glass work...
Old 07-15-2006, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WantedRawb
your looking at lots of glass work...
I noticed you were going to install the avn5435 in your t/a. Did you ever do it? If so do you have pictures and how long did it take.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

So you know... I was going to do a double din h/u for a while and everyone told me it would be a nightmare and had to relo the a/c. But someone has done a double din without an a/c relo and only a little plastic bezel reshaping. I dropped him a PM. Below is his reply:

Originally Posted by LT4vert
The headunit was a bit of a pita , but yeah , hehehe , it WILL fit just fine . The head unit I used even allowed me to use the radio controls once I figured the right wire to hook up . I was amazed . To make the radio fit I didnt have to relo the hvac unit at all . I just had to cut out that center shelf divider and basically build a new one that sat lower ....basically almost touching the hvac unit . I used sheet ABS plastic and fiberglass resin to make a new shelf . I also had to make new side mounting brackets to line up with the old radio mounting holes . After that , the head unit bolts right in like stock . The actual bezel itself that surrounds the radio and hvac , I did have to rebuild to make the radio opening bigger . In the middle divider I left the portion that surrounds the Hvac alone , and cut away the portion that surrounded the radio and basically just made the divider thinnner . And to further get more height out of the radio opening I made the top wall of the bezel much thinner too . I didnt think id work , but I got the clearence I needed . Look at my pics really good at the bezel , and you see how the top wall and middle divider are are much thinner than on a stock bezel . Heres the rest of the run down .

Head unit - 2003 Vibe in dash 6-disc changer headunit , the same radio is in a toyota matrix , but it is a GM part . This the ONLY car u can get the new style GM double din radios out of . ALL other GM's with this head unit use class2 electronics and are powered by a PCM signal and not 12 volts . You can also use the Vibe Navagation head unit , IF you can find all the components for it . Youd need the antenna , theres 2 modules , the head unit and the navagation DVD .

Radio controls wiring harness - I figured out how to power the radio controls by looking at skematic from a 2003 grand am GT with the monsoon system and radio controls .

Rear plug - from the vibe , just spliced in correct wires .

I also used the 200 watt Vibe monsoon amp .

All and all I loved it . Im not a stereo guy , but I wanted something better than delco head unit in there without spending all kinds of cash .

I dunno if the aftermarket double dins will work or not as Im unsure of the dimensions . I will say though , on the GM head unit , I did have to shave down a portion the face plate on the top and bottom . Not much though , and the bezel totally covers it up .
Old 07-17-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Double din fit in mine.. just had to cut the bezel some, and remove the braket above teh hvac controls.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOIR
So you know... I was going to do a double din h/u for a while and everyone told me it would be a nightmare and had to relo the a/c. But someone has done a double din without an a/c relo and only a little plastic bezel reshaping. I dropped him a PM. Below is his reply:
Can u link me to the pictures?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

bump..............
Old 08-08-2006, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Well I just bought the AVN5435 tonight. Ill tell you how it goes.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got you dawg........
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/549775-eclipse-avn5435-pics.html
Old 08-09-2006, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

this is for a Trans Am not Z28.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its pretty much the same setup. same installation and both require cutting