Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

MP3 Changer

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool MP3 Changer

Can I add an MP3 cd changer without replacing my stock radio? I have a 02 Z28 with a Monsoon.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 288 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There is a changer called the NEO Changer that comes with adapters to connect to just about any factory radio (including the Monsoon). It plays MP3s and regular CDs and just plugs in to the original changer harness with an adapter cable. The problem is that they don't have a very good reputation for reliability. "Piece of crap" (or words to that effect) is the most common comment I've heard.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. :-)
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find a changer that will output to 2 RCA cables, then you would be able to hook that up with a GM AUX-9 adapter and have the sound feed through there (existing CD Changer wiring). I don't know any changer off the top of my head that outputs RCA cables.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "Neochanger" is the only unit that supposedly can retain regular factory functionality through the factory head unit. In reality, they really are crap. Don't think people are being too picky and you'll be lucky - they are crap crap crap. A total waste of time and money and you will regret it. If you don't believe me just TRY and find any information about them on the net. You don't want to buy a product that google doesn't know.

You would be 1,000x better off getting an aftermarket mp3 changer and running it through a GM AUX adapter like FBDYLVR suggested, you'll just have to deal with mounting the remote somewhere.

In the end I recommend using the GMAUX adapter with an ipod or similar MP3 player. The overall cost and sound quality is similar, and it is easier to transfer files then to make a bunch of MP3 discs. Plus you pick up an MP3 player to use.

Keep in mind it'd be much cheaper and sound much better to use an aftermarket MP3 capable deck. I understand some people want to keep a stock look, but you are spending more money for lesser sound quality by chaining yourself to that head unit.