Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

power seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 358 Likes on 270 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default power seats

tried a search but didnt really find what i need to know
im trying to put the 6 way power seats out of a ta in my firebird but the plugs do not match and i have heard there is a second harness that perhaps im didnt get shipped to me or am i sol?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you just clip the plugs off and hard wire them together? If the color coding is the same, it should be a piece of cake.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

i fi had a diagram probably but its six wires to 2 wires
Old 07-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Yes there is a seperate harness that goes between the 2 seats. The harness plugs into your main harness and hooks up the power and air to the electric T/A seats. It is a must have to make the install very easy. You will have to run 2 air lines between the seats to make them work without the harness.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Here is a pic of the harness you need.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

i made my own works awsome i didnt know what i was missing with those seats i think that is one of my best mods yet
Old 07-25-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

here is a write up
ok i decided i couldnt spend that much money on wiring i could do my damn self so for those who get the six way seats without a harness and dont want to spend the $112.00 it cost i suggest this

things needed to finish job
10 ft of tubing for the air pump 3/16 inner diameter
4 3/16 couplers
10ft of bundle wire (has 9 16 guage wires built in it)
12 but connectors
and 2 or so t connectors

tape and crimpers or solder of you skeird

(this will work for vehicles without power seats as well the wire is run for all even if you dont have the option but only on the driver side hense the need for the harness)

remove seats
unplug two prong connector on driver seat (this is the power source for the whole job)

the wires for that will be orange and black orange being positive)
now to run your hoses and psuedo harness if you will

the center console must be taken out (i couldnt get my ebrake hande off so i just lifted mine enough to work under) you will have to take the shifter console off first undoing the two 7mm hex screws under the lid (mine is an auto so i dont know how you manual boys have to do this but im sure you will figure it out) take off shifter handle( dont forget the c clip in the front of the handle pull it out with needle nose pliers i lhave left mine out for years) put it into 2nd gear and lift you will need to unplug the cig lighters and the light that goes into the shift console.

next there are 5 10mm bolts holding the whole center console down, 2 in the center console compartment 1 under the shifter panel and two under the radio at the sides. once loosend lift console and wedge something under it for support ( i found the seatbelt ends worked well).

run your wire under the carpet through the slits already provided ( the harness wire is kinda think so it will be difficult but when i did it mine runs under the air bag module but that was just easier for me you can do it how ever you like) 10 ft wil give you plenty of extra should you need it. also run your air hoses with couplers installed (they are very hard to put on but that is what you want to insure no leaks or them blow apart due to pressure) you will have to cut off the connectors of the tubes from the seat to do this ( only cut the ones not connected from the compressor on the passneger side seat that is the one that runs to the driver side so you want to connect those 2 otherwise the passenger is the only one that gets to enjoy the seats

next on the new seats you will notice that it is a 6 pin plug consisting of orange red pink purple gray and black wires on both seats. you now have to power wires coming up out of the carpert for the original seats (the 2 pin connector with orange and black wires) use the t connectors and splice the orange and black from the car to the 6 pin orange and black on the seat to your new harness(note these wires will not be color coded so it is important to decide how to match them before you start to cut for example the bundle wire will have 9 indiviual colored wires in it pick the ones you want and match them to the colors on the seat plug use your descrection, but write it down so you dont forget) you should know have power to the six way switch and nothing else remember all we have connected thus far are the orange and black wires to each other and the new harness.

now take your male and female connectors crimp them to both sets of wires from the seat plug to your new harness( you will be connecting the red pink gray and purple on the driver side and then all of them on the passenger side)
connect your air hoses and test her out before you bolt them down and you will now have power seats and passenger and driver lumbar and side bolster support.

sorry for the lack of pics but i didnt take any when i was doing this at 2 in the morning but if you have any questions feel free to ask and i hope this helps those that needed this info as it was not readlily available
Old 07-25-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice write up. I was going to do the same thing but luckily found someone here that was parting out a TA and got the harness for $20 shipped.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

thats how i got the seats and he said he would send the harness but he didnt
and it took forever to get the seats so i just said screw it ill do it
Old 07-27-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

yeap, I got both wires for $40 shipped. Saves me the trouble of farting with it. I didn't realized that the wire going from the block to the main power seat is the same for my 97. I didn't realize that the adapter was just a plug in, lol until after it arrived. Oh well, I guess I will sell my seats with the block wire so they are all ready to install, lol.