Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Remote starter help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remote starter help

I just got a remote starter for my 2000 truck. I do not want to use the piece of crap antenna and remote that came with it. I would like to use the OEM remote like this - push unlock once to unlock doors. Push again to start truck. I can modify it to unlock both doors on the 1st press, the problem is the antenna that came with it hooks up to the control module with an RCA style plug. I am pretty sure the antenna is not a 12v input, so how the heck do I make it start with the second press? Hope you understand what I am saying, sorry I am not electronically smart.
Old 05-19-2002, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Remote starter help

what brand remote start is it, most will have a negative input so you dont need the remote.

If you do have that, connect that to the second output, if not, then post info on the remote start and ill see what i can help you with.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Slow is right. Most remote starts will have a negative trigger input. You could use the progressive lock bypass that you have done to control the start/stop of the starter then. It will probably be labelled as "aux" or "trigger" input on the remote start.

Kevin
Old 05-19-2002, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Part of the kit was missing so I can't install it at all. I am going to trade it right now. Thanks for your help guys. I will let you know about the new one I get in about 2-3 hrs.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

OK Here is what I found out. The antenna that comes with it connects directly to a wire, which connects into the starter module with an RCA style plug. I could cut off the antenna, and splice the wire into what used to be the wire that triggered the passenger door unlock on the second button press. I was wondering if it would fry the module?. Basically I am wondering how the antenna triggers the module? 12v? 3v? or 0v? Some other way? I am clueless. Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 05-20-2002, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

No you dont use the antenna at all. Its simply there to recieve a signal from the remote. There should be another wire that accepts an different input form an outside source.

Kevin