Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stereo Questions

Sorry if these sound dumb.

1 - Why do expensive 300w amps seem to have more power than a cheapo 300w amp

2 - If I put a 50wx4 amp to my door and rear speakers (Reg Cab truck) would it be the head unit power + the amp or just the amp?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2002, 03:33 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Stereo Questions

In some cases you get what you pay for... i believe the more expensive amps have more quality and usually last longer cause they use the more expensive components to build their amps and cheapo don't... when you run speakers to an amp you get the wattage off the amps and from the head unit to the amps are measured in volts
i think i might be wrong but i'm pretty sure thats how it works hope i helped
Old 05-27-2002, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

answer to 1- more expensive amps are usually better, they have better internals and better features. Like better x overs and gold inputs and outputs ( they say it gives a better signal for the RCAs) and they are usually built better then cheapo amps. Sometimes your spending extra money on the name. If you can get a better amp.

answer to 2- Whenever you get another amp to run highs your dont use your HU power at all. Then the question comes up Why should i get a amp if my HU is 50X4? the thing is that the HU will almost never push 50X4, more like 20-25X4. If you want your highs to be really loud get an amp. If you want more clearity use the extra spearker wire from the HU and push some tweaters. hope this helped.

Drew
Old 05-27-2002, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Drew2G2:
<strong>If you want more clearity use the extra spearker wire from the HU and push some tweaters. hope this helped.

Drew</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't agree with this. When you upgrade the rest of your system and then try to run an extra set of tweeters off the stock HU it is not going to be any cleaner or clearer for the matter. The power that is now going to your mids and highs through an aftermarket amp are going to drowned out the extra tweeters off the amp.

Drew had it right by pushing you to an aftermarket deck. The stock HU just does not have the power GM claims.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

The real question is if the cheap amp is REALLY 300watts. Make sure you comparing apples to apples. The power should be at 4ohms with less than 1% THD.