Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Punchier Bass for Stock System - Recommendations Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Punchier Bass for Stock System - Recommendations Needed

I don't know if you tried this yet, but when I had my 98 Formula with the 10 speaker Monsoon, I turned the lowest level on the EQ all the way down, to eliminate the low end boomy bass (since it just distorted anyways) and turned the next level beside it (I believe that is the 125hz setting) all the way up. This gave me the nice tight bass which I like too.

I'm putting my new system in my 95 Formula this weekend, but instead of going with big subs, since I like the tight crisp bass I am simply replacing the speakers in the passenger area with 6.5" Kenwood Subs. I'm powering them with an Orion 222sx amp, then I'll be running a set of Kenwood 6" components up front off a PPI 25x2 amp.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Punchier Bass for Stock System - Recommendations Needed

I've got the stock system in my '02 Formula.
I really would like to increase the level of Punchy Bass(kick drums, etc.) Y'know, like on hard rock songs.
(Hard Rock/Heavy Metal is pretty much all I listen to.)

I'd like quality sound, but minimal cost... so I'm not quite ready to replace the whole system or anything. I just wanna make it sound a little better.
Any ideas?

Thanks...

<small>[ August 28, 2002, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Warez ]</small>
Old 08-29-2002, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

MTX makes a thunderform box that goes into the rear cubby hole on the driver side of the car. It is a single 10" woofer and you can get it with a built in amplifier for I think about $350 give or take a lil. For a single woofer it has a very nice sound to it and it doesn't take up any real space at all(only unused). If you have the factory sub back there just drop that turd in the nearest toilet and put the MTX box in it's place. Trust me you won't be sorry....
Old 09-01-2002, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

I have a 99 SS with the stock head unit.. i also like that punchy bass for my metal music... the best way to get tight bass and not boomy bass is to use small subs in a small sealed enclosure. I have 2 10 inch MTX subs in a sealed two part box. It was the first mod i made to my sound system, and i love it.. Since then, ive put in all Infinity Kappa component speakers to round out the mids and highs... so even with the so-called shitty stock deck, i get absolutely awesome sound, personally i think i sounds better than most aftermarket systems.
Old 09-01-2002, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What impedence are the stock speakers that come in the Monsoon? I redid my system in my 95 Formula yesterday, and the stock 4 speaker cassette deck it had came with 10 ohm speakers in the rear passenger seat area! So no wonder those suckers weren't very loud. I can imagine that if the Monsoon is set up similarily that one could get a huge sound difference just by swapping out all the speakers for aftermarket.

By the way, my new setup is this:

Kenwood 6.5" subs in the back driven by an Orion 222sx set to 2 ohms mono.

Kenwood 6" components set driven by a PPI Sedona 25x2 amp.

Pioneer DEH1400 CD head unit.

Poweracoustik 3 way crossover.

I did the entire system for $850 CDN ($550US!)

Quick Reply: Punchier Bass for Stock System - Recommendations Needed