Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

OK, lets see who knows their sh!t....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, lets see who knows their ****....

Ive been working on the "submersible hawk", trying to fix the horn. The relays work cuz the alarm works, Ive dug all the way into the column, replaced the canceller cam, but beyond that seems to be the issue. The plate that contains all the mechanics for the blinkers, etc. has a small spring loaded contact that touches the cam. Im not sure how it works in the back, but when I short that contact to the stud in the column with a screwdriver, the horn sounds. There seems to be missing something in the back of that assembly, but I cant tell what it uses as contacts. When I put it all back together, nothing. WTF??
Old 08-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Launching!

Are you talking about the clockspring? It sounds like you are but I am not sure. Was the air bag ever deployed because sometimes when the air bag goes off it will ruin the clockspring. If you pull the air bag out which It sounds like you already have, there should be 2 triangular metal tab things. Those should be the "switch" for the horn. If you press either one of those down to make contact that should ground the circuit and sound the horns. But from what you described your problem is deeper into the column.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Ive gone much deeper into the column, all the way to the ignition switch. As far as I know, the airbag has never deployed, the car has only 15k miles on it, but has had severe flood damage. I dont see how the clockspring could be ruined, since it has no moving parts, just a metal to metal ground. The wires look fine, but when I push the tabs behind the airbag, nothing. The problem lies deep into the column, I m just not sure what the assembly is supposed to look like inside. If I could find a picture of that, or an exploded veiw, I might be able to tell if Im missing anything.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Launching!

The center of the clockspring should turn with the steering wheel. Thats what allows steeering wheel to turn but still keep the horn and steering wheel controls operational no matter what direction the steering wheel is in. Do your steering wheel controls work? Inside the clockspring there is a long band of copper "tape" like material and if that came loose or broke somewhere it could be causing your problems. I guess your best bet would be to find a wiring diagram or schematic on the whole horn system. Then you will be able to easier trace the wires from your column to your horns themselves and will tell you what color every wire is and where all the components are that could fail. That would be my next step.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Im WAY beyond that step, after the slipring (clockspring), is the cancelling cam, which lies behind the locking plate. The cancelling cam is the part that the slipring slides in to, behind that is a small spring loaded copper contact that touches the back of the cancelling cam. There seems to be a break in the circuit there. Like I said before, I can short the copper contact to the column stud and sound the horn, but I dont know how a correct peice looks, or I could rebuild this one. Wiring diagrams show wires, but no detailed circuits like this. I need an exploded view of what one is supposed to look like, because Im sure this is a very expensive part due tothe fact it has a harness attatched to it that runs the length of the column.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Launching!

OK, well I guess the LS1 fairy visited my car while I wasnt looking, because when I put everything back together like Ive done 10 times already, it works, and I didnt do anything any different. Whatever, thanx for all the input though.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Well thats awesome. The best kind of fixes are those that fix themselves just hopefully they dont come back.