Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Crimestopper alarms??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Crimestopper alarms??

Are Crimestopper alarms decent? I am having so much trouble with the remote start that I ordered, I'm thinking of exchanging it with a crimestopper 2015 rf unit instead.

Just looking to see if anybody has used one or has any experience with them.

Thanks,

Russ

<small>[ November 07, 2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: 77-vette ]</small>
Old 11-08-2002, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crimestopper alarms??

Crime stoper is a crap name. It might be better than the Cyborg thing you bought but your still replacing one cheap alarm for another. Unfortunatly it is hard to buy a decent alarm that you can install yourself. DEI basically has the market cornered when it comes to top notch equipment these days and they don't let the dealers sell any of the nicer pieces over the counter without install. If you can, see if the people your dealing with can give ya a Hornet piece. Hornet is made by DEI but it is one of their lower in pieces that can be sold out the door no problem. Don't worry though it's still a decent piece and you should notice it being waaaaay better than the Cyborg or Crimestoper. I don't know what all features your looking for but I know I have some Code remote starts and Avital remote starts that I bought on closeout that I can sell out the door if you might be interested. But before I'd even consider selling ya one I'd like to hear what problem your having just so I know it ain't a installer error.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Johnny,

The unit came with no instructions only cryptic naming in some broken form of english. I've decoded the wiring easily enough. The problem is that the unit has a number of dip switches and 1 hard wire joint.

One of the dipswitches changes the door lock pulse from - to +. It wasn't labeled but we figured that one out. Another of the dip switches is labeled as low or high, but I have no idea what for??? And finally the hard wire joint. It is a piece of wire that is soldered to two terminals. Depending on the type of transmission you have (auto or m6) you are suppossed to cut the wire. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you which type of transmission you should cut it for. I'm assuming that automatic tranny is the default so I've not cut the wire.

Basically, the alarm has a bunch of the bells and whistles you'd want, but the instructions (actually lack thereof) are horrible.

I'm going to give it 1 more try tonight. If it still isn't working I'm going to see about getting my money back and going from there.

Russ
Old 11-08-2002, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea that is a common problem with cheaper pieces. They come with really poor instructions and ridiculous programing steps like "turn the igniton on and off 12 time tap the break twice do the hokey pokey and press transmitter button 2". I acutally charge extra to install a cheaper alarm like that than I do for a nice piece just for the hassle involved. But best of luck to ya sometimes with enough effort and tears it works out.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well,

There were 2 things I was unsure of:

1) what the dipswitches do
2) what the wire joint does

1) one of the dipswitches controls a wire that either senses tach or generates + when armed.

Still don't know about the other dip switch.

2) the wire joint has to be cut for automatic cars. A manual car has to go through ready mode for the remote start to engage, so by default the setting is for a manual car. Basically, when I followed the steps for the manual car (in my automatic) the remote start worked.

However, in the end we decided to send the unit back and get a refund of our money. Way to much of a hassle and I've lost confidence in the product.

Guess I'll have to wait and pony up the cash for a decent DEI remote start.

-Russ