Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

JL Audio 6W0's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default JL Audio 6W0's?

Got a question for y'all. I've been Installing Car Audio for 4 Years, as well as doing sales, So I 've seen quite a few systems. What I have not seen or heard of is this crazy idea I've had that might just work. OK, I just bought my 2000 T/A, and I LOVE the T-tops. I had 2 JL W12's in the trunk of my previous car, a V6 Camaro, and I want to keep the T-Top storage area in the T/A and not fill it up with box, like I did in the camaro. I also know what a single 10" in a stealthbox, or 12" in a custom enclosure sounds like. then I noticed the very rear speaker locations in the hatch area for the stock Monsoon system. There might be enough depth, and area to fit two JL 6W0's behind each factory grille using custom 'glass enclosures. The 6W0 has a total depth of only 4", and the 6W0 does not have a center backplate vent which would get blocked if the speaker was installed close to the bottom of the box. So this might work, running 4 6W0's behind a pair of factory grilles, and running them with a good, solid 400WRms Amplifier. Has anyone tried this, or seen this? I've seen (and heard) 3 JL 8W6's in the hatch of a camaro, and they sounded great. With 4 6.5" woofers, there is more cone area there than with 3 8's.

<small>[ December 06, 2002, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Snootch ]</small>
Old 12-06-2002, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Default Re: JL Audio 6W0's?

i reckon its possible...how much air space to they require?
Old 12-07-2002, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

.175 Cubic Ft each sealed. Taking into account the displacement of the speakers themselves, each enclosure holding 2 of them would have to be .359 CuFt minimum.
Linkage:
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/6W0_BDS.pdf

<small>[ December 07, 2002, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Snootch ]</small>
Old 12-08-2002, 02:36 AM
Teching In

Hey snootch, the onlty way that would sound good is if you changed your speakers that are next to the back seat with coaxials. Because from the factory they only play low frequencies and the rear only play high frequencies. It would take a bit of rewiring the stock amplifier but it could be done. Personally I think you would get better results by putting your subs in the sides next to the back seats so you can maintain the stock placement of the subwoofers. With a little work you can fit a 10" in each side and it is totally stealth.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Really? I thought all the stock speakers were coaxials. Do the locations by the rear seat arm rest offer enough depth? (for 10"s) or would I have to cut sheetmetal? Oh yeah, and when I build this system, I totally plan on replacing ALL of the monsoon crap.

<small>[ December 09, 2002, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Snootch ]</small>
Old 12-09-2002, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Depending on what 10 you want to run there should be enough depth. But another thing you can do is remold that side panel so that the speaker actually mounts to that and that would provide the front to the enclosure. Use great stuff expanding foam to fill the inside of the quarter panel, carve out the enclosure or even tear it out with your hands, fiberglass the inside of the new cavity. Remold the plastic panel with fiberglass strong enough to hold the speaker. Its alot of work but the results are worth it. I am working on this same project in my own car right now. I will post pics when available.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Snootch,

If you're looking for more bass than the single drivers side stealth box can deliver, consider a 12" passenger side stealth box from subthump.com.

You can cover the front of the sub with speaker grill cloth and to the casual passerby, everything would be hidden. If you were to run a single elemental designs sub or a adire audio brahma and a JL1000.1 amp, you would have more than enough clean, tight bass.

Russ
Old 12-10-2002, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys, I Appreciate your input. I'm really interested in going with dual subs though. I like the idea with the great stuff. Although I don't want to modify the stock vinyl pieces though because since these 'birds arent made anymore, mine's a keeper. I think i'll sawzall the inner sheetmetal to get more depth, then build it out w/ MDF, great stuff and Fiberglass so it all fits behind the sail panel. Since i'm in the process of buying a house right now, it'll have to wait for a few months, because I plan on replacing the whole system at once.

<small>[ December 10, 2002, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Snootch ]</small>

Quick Reply: JL Audio 6W0's?