Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New 12 CD Changer Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
I'm in the middle of one these 12cd changer swaps myself. Been reading about the 12cd changer not working with some stock CD players.

I have installed the 12cd changer. The unit is powerd up. THe door opens and the internal red light comes on.

BUt I don't think the head unit is comuitcating with the 12cd changer. I can't get CD's to play from the changer.

My quesgtion is, can the head units that will work with the 12cd changer be identified by the "00000" logo next to the PONTIAC logo on the display????

I know my current head unit does not have this logo.

Hehhe... after looking... I think that is the Monsoon logo. If so... I guess not.
No, there are no external markings that will tell you if your head unit will support a CD changer. All cassette head units support the changer but only 2000 and newer (actually, late 1999) single CD head units can connect to the changer. You don't say what model year your car is but if the the changer doesn't work I would guess it's a 99 or earlier model. The only visual identification of changer-capable head units is inside the HU stamped on the CD drive circuit board.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I had a tape deck in the car when I brought it. I changed to a CD player HU a couple of months after I brought the car. The car is a 96 and the HU was also manfactuered in 96.

Being that I still had the tape deck.... I swaped them out and the new changer works fine with the tape deck HU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I REALLY wish I had known this back when I brought the new cd player HU. I had ask the dealer and they said that was the only way to get a CD player in the car!!!!!

Shows how much they know!!!!!!! I would have much rather added the cd changer to the trunk like I have it now!!!!!!!

I might consider swapping the tape HU for a newer(2000+) if I find one at a good price.

Or I might just leave it as is. I don't plan on listening to tapes... but you never can tell.

At least with the tape deck HU, I can now enjoy my new 12cd changer!!!!!!!!!

GUess I can always put the CD player HU on E-bay!!!!!!!!

Thanks Again.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might consider swapping the tape HU for a newer(2000+) if I find one at a good price.
Let me know if you change your mind, and I replied to your pm

Quick Reply: New 12 CD Changer Installation