Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

electriclal problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default electriclal problem

when I turn on my car my stereo will not turn on and my power windows dont work any advice on what the problem is and how much it will cost to fix it?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Both the radio fuse and the power window circuit breaker get power from the retained accessory power circuit of the BCM so you should start troubleshooting there.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

First start with fuses, not likely since its two differnt units not working. but its worth a try, if not that then go with whitebird
Old 08-28-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the help. How much does this sort of thing cost to fix?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by import slayer
thanks for the help. How much does this sort of thing cost to fix?
It's hard to say because it depends on what is causing the problem. If it's just a fuse then it will only cost a few cents. If it's the BCM then it will be about $200 plus the time to diagnose and replace. Other electrical problems are usually charged at straight time because the shop won't know what's wrong until they do some testing (so it could add up really quickly). Doing it yourself will always be cheaper.

After you've checked the fuses (a possible but unlikely cause) you should test for power at the RADIO fuse and/or the windows circuit breaker. If you have power but they still don't work then you have two separate problems to trace (again, not likely but possible). If no power then check for power on the dark blue wire in the black connector at the BCM. If that's good then you have a break in the dark blue wire between the BCM and the fuse panel. If not then the BCM is the likely cause of the problem.