Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lets See Pics Of Your Push Button Start Setups

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arrow Lets See Pics Of Your Push Button Start Setups

ok guys im wanting to do this but im wanting to see some before i jump into it and see where all you guys have put this button. put up some pics and tell about the process. this is how you do it but i want to hear how everything went for you in installing this if there were any problems you ran into?
http://members.***.net/pitre/s2000sw.htm#006
Old 08-31-2006, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why do you want a push button start ?????
Old 08-31-2006, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PLOEG
why do you want a push button start ?????
For the factor.

Damn! It looks like I found my next mod! Has anyone done this? Any issues with the stock alarm? Do you still need the keys? (I hope so!)
Old 08-31-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

ya this is just for what the guy said factor, and i ws wanting to see if there was any other places anyone has put it other than in the lighter place.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 08-31-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

now thats pretty cool i would like to hook that up somehow but man when it comes to wires and all that stuff im dumb... but it is for M6 cars not autos
Old 08-31-2006, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would you want to put this on your car if your still going to need to put the keys in the ignition and turn it to on??? I could understand if your wanting to install the complete "smart key" set up. Where the keys in your pocket and then just hit the start button. Just my .02
Old 08-31-2006, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

From the instructions, you cut the "engine start" wire and use the button instead of turning the key all the way to start the engine. Yea, having a smart key like the Mercedes would be the ultimate. If someone could to a write up on how to do that, I'd be all over it.

Again, it's just a little something to make your car unique.

I think I might just do it. I found a website that sells the S2000 buttons for about $35.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Adinsx
From the instructions, you cut the "engine start" wire and use the button instead of turning the key all the way to start the engine. Yea, having a smart key like the Mercedes would be the ultimate. If someone could to a write up on how to do that, I'd be all over it.

Again, it's just a little something to make your car unique.

I think I might just do it. I found a website that sells the S2000 buttons for about $35.
ya a smart key system would be awesome but would it work with HPtuners bc you have ot have they key on to tune so how would you activate it or turn it on so you can tune, but ya if someone can show step by step installation of the smart key i would be all over it.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm, it looks like the smart key, or Keyless Access, is an option on the new vettes. It might be possible. Anyone knowledgable about how the new system works?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

im sure that there is some kind of sensor or something that is prob easy to hook up, ok im going to check on ebay to see what i can find maybe theres a smart key system for a vette on there.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a push button start on my 91 RS. it was a pain whenever i needed to take it in for tires or an alignment. you have to show the mechanics how to start the damn thing. i had my push button for 4 years. then i got my 98. i find myself still reaching for the button sometimes. the way mine worked, was a wire was ran to the fuse panel that was always hot, and another wire ran to the starter silenoid<--spelling?. put the key in, turn it to the run position, and push the button. it pretty much disabled the clutch safetly switch.

i had it mounted in the knee panel under the dash.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

i really dont trust mechanics shops so id o it all myself, or i take it to someone i know personally,
Old 08-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bjamick
ok guys im wanting to do this but im wanting to see some before i jump into it and see where all you guys have put this button. put up some pics and tell about the process. this is how you do it but i want to hear how everything went for you in installing this if there were any problems you ran into?
http://members.***.net/pitre/s2000sw.htm#006
That's the write-up I followed. It's pretty easy, I had no problems doing the install. The only thing I did differently was instead of cutting the start wire (the big yellow one i think) I just spliced into it, this way the car could still be started with the key if it had to be. In either case, the key is still required to be in the ign. and turned to ON to dis-arm V.A.T.S.
Here's an old pic of mine (I used an "ignited" start button instead of an S2000 button, so my wiring was just a little different than what is shown in the write-up). Does it take me 2 extra seconds to start the car with the button?...yes...is the factor worth it?...for me yes.
Here's an old pic of mine:
Old 08-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by bjamick
im sure that there is some kind of sensor or something that is prob easy to hook up, ok im going to check on ebay to see what i can find maybe theres a smart key system for a vette on there.
don't get your hopes up.

The vette system uses 3 proximity sensors, so it can triangulate and locate the exact position of the key fob, to be sure it is indeed inside of the car and not just near it before enabling the starter and ignition.

In addition, the system on the vette is standard, not optional, so the likely hood of it being a separate system you can easily adapt to another car is slim to none.

Knowing how GM likes to integrate things to save on cost and space, I would imagine that the system is integrated into the BCM and the DIC, much like how the keyless entry and stock alarm is integrated into the F-body bcm.

with enough money, time, and know-how, just about anything is possible, but look for it to be a very difficult swap and I would not even attempt it unless you are very, very intamitely familiar with the electronics of both cars.

mike
Old 08-31-2006, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Mike @ FbodyAudio: Official Bubble Bursting Technician
Old 08-31-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

lol well im sure someone has to make something where we can do this.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

i had it on my 98 z went by the write up in the first post had maybe 20 min of work invested in the project
Old 09-01-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Veteran

im not going to cut the ignition wire im going to just tap into it so i can still start it with the key if for somereason the button breaks or quits working, just so i can sleep at night
Old 09-01-2006, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Someone serously needs to fab up a smart key, if someone could make a kit hundreds of people would buy it.

Quick Reply: Lets See Pics Of Your Push Button Start Setups