Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can I add a siren?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 05:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I add a siren?

My ,99 T/A factory alarm only honks it's horn...can a siren be added?Is there a better alarm out there that will work in tandem with the BCM?
Old 09-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

No, you can't just add a siren because the factory alarm uses a pulsed output to honk the horn but a siren requires a continuous output. You can add a Hornet 700T alarm upgrade (made by DEI) to the stock system for about $75. It will give you a siren, a new shock sensor, and the ability to add additional sensors such as a perimeter sensor or a glass shatter sensor. With the exception of the siren and the power/ground connections, all the wires can be connected at the BCM so installation is easy. Also, it still uses your factory remote key fobs.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, Whitebird00 I'll look into that. My son,who says I'm being paranoid,suggested louder horns, which may accomplish the same thing.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:47 PM
Teching In

You can install a siren , it won't pulse and it won't activate when you press the horn button. In short, you place a diode on the horn output of the bcm security lead. Add a relay to convert negative output to positive.Then you use a capacitor that energizes from the pulsing signal. It will constantly be energized from the signal and will maintain a constant siren sound. I know this because I installed a setup like this on my 2000 Camaro SS. The horns still beep and the lights flash, and the siren is loud . If anyone needs specifics, reach out to me.

Quick Reply: Can I add a siren?