Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone know a good place for two 12 inch subs in a convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know a good place for two 12 inch subs in a convertible?

Just like the topic said, right now they are on my back seat...
Old 09-16-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... and that's the only way you're going to get anything out of them with the top down.

If you have a desire to have the level of bass 2 12"s provide, you need to start thinking of a rear seat delete box or some other creative solution.

The trunk is nearly a sealed cavity when the top is down, thus is one of the burdens of the vert --> "Thou shalt not have extreme bass easily."

Search in the vert forum for various approaches and results. I suggest you get a nice exhaust system and just get used to listening to that music instead.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todddchi
... and that's the only way you're going to get anything out of them with the top down.

If you have a desire to have the level of bass 2 12"s provide, you need to start thinking of a rear seat delete box or some other creative solution.

The trunk is nearly a sealed cavity when the top is down, thus is one of the burdens of the vert --> "Thou shalt not have extreme bass easily."

Search in the vert forum for various approaches and results. I suggest you get a nice exhaust system and just get used to listening to that music instead.
I've been listening to that music for some time now I just didnt know if there was a good way to put 2 12's in the back with a good amp mounting setup. right now both of my amps are just mounted on the box, but the subs actually are tearing my four channel apart... so thats not good. Ive looked in the vert section but no one seems to be that interested in Audio..
Old 09-17-2006, 04:06 AM
12 Second Club

I think the 'vert guys have pretty much given up on bass with the top down...

At least move the amps to the trunk, a subthump.com amp rack should fit a 'vert too.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well there are plenty of people that just toss a small bandpass or similar bos in the trunk, mount the amp on the front or rear vertical walls. The problem is this only really works with the top up, at which point there isn't much point.

Some people take the battle ax approach and juice up their setup to overcome this, but regardless of what you do the top is sitting there as a shield when the top is down, and you end up rattling the *** end of the whole car.

Therefore people that want "bumping" bass levels pretty much always end up going to a rear seat solution, whether it's mounting a tube between the seats, doing some sort of rear seat delete, something like that.

It is possible to build a small 8" wedge enclosure that sits on the trunk shelf, and a properly designed one with very sensitive and robust 8" subs, and ample power going to them, is one of the best solutions. But this is still not going to get you levels near that of a properly tuned 10" stealthbox in a coupe.

For someone starting from scratch I recommend putting the most solid 6.5"s you can in your doors, shoring them up with at least some dynamat, and feeding them good power. This is the most practical solution. Next in line is the 8" wedge box approach, and if that isn't good enough, rear seat solutions.

There are plenty of subs box pictures and posts in the vert forum, but not many of them are going to cover 2x12"s because the only solution is tossing them in the trunk.