Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

radio question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question radio question

I own a 00 Z28 with the factory monsoon head unit. A friend of mine drives a 00 chevrolet silverado pickup. His battery took a dump, removed battery and replaced with a new one. Afterward his radio would not work. He called the dealership and they told him there is a code he has to put in it for it to work again. He didn't know the code and had to pay the stealership $40.00 just to punch in some code. My radio says theftlock on the front of it, and so does my buddys. If I remove my battery without knowing this secret code will my radio not work? Hopefully someone here knows if these factory units are like this. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

was the pickup lock when he removed the battery i never had that happen to me
Old 09-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

What do you mean by lock? As in the radio code. No, it was working fine before replacing battery.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

There are threads on here (and a sticky) about unlocking the radio. Search isnt working right now though. Otherwise I'd post links. Check in the sticky first.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The TheftLoc system isn't activated from the factory. Unless you (or a previous owner) activated the TheftLoc by entering a lock code then you don't have to worry. You can tell if TheftLoc is activated by the flashing red LED on the face of the radio when the car is shut off. If it doesn't flash then you can disconnect the battery and reconnect it without needing an unlock code.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for clearing this up for me, I have been concerned about not knowing the unlock code. No light is flashing on the radio, However there is a red flashing light that blinks on my dash by the defroster vent when my car doors are locked.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The LED on top of the dash is for the vehicle content theft deterrent system (a fancy name for the car alarm). It is completely separate from the radio TheftLoc system. The TheftLoc system is to prevent theft of the radio because thieves are supposed to know that a stolen radio won't work when reinstalled without having the unlock code (if TheftLoc was activated). Of course, most thieves aren't interested in factory radios...