Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Defogger and Power Seat fuse

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Defogger and Power Seat fuse

Seems a common problem with 1999 Firehawks is that the rear defogger button and power seats (which share the same fuse) tend to fail if you activate the defogger button.

What happens is the defogger works for about 1 minute then the indicator light goes off. Pressing the defogger button again turns it off. Re-pressing it causes nothing to happen. It will not work again until it "cools down" for about 5 minutes or so.

Interestingly, someone on this forum years ago mentioned that the power seats will also fail at the same time. Turns out this is true! Seems they both share the same fuse.

What is the solution to this problem? I'd really like my rear defogger back. It's been 4 years since it's worked for more than a minute.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The easy solution is to replace the DEFOG/SEATS 30A circuit breaker with a 30A fuse. It seems that the circuit breaker wears out over time, overheats in use, and interrupts the circuit until it cools off. A fuse will provide the same protection but isn't subject to the heating problem.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Mine did the same thing and I replaced the breaker with a 30 amp fuse. It worked fine all winter. I happened to notice the other day that the 30 amp fuse has melted but did not ever blow. I don't have power seats so I just took the fuse out untill I can figure out what is wrong. Any suggestions?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:46 AM
Teching In

Does a blade-type standard fuse fit? It seems the OEM breaker is huge.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by mikecronis
Does a blade-type standard fuse fit? It seems the OEM breaker is huge.
Yes, it looks big but it plugs in with two blades just like a fuse (so a fuse will fit perfectly).
Old 09-25-2006, 07:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Hawks
Mine did the same thing and I replaced the breaker with a 30 amp fuse. It worked fine all winter. I happened to notice the other day that the 30 amp fuse has melted but did not ever blow. I don't have power seats so I just took the fuse out untill I can figure out what is wrong. Any suggestions?
If the plastic of the fuse is melted but the fuse didn't blow then either the fuse is faulty or you have some other source of heat that is melting the fuse from the outside (rather than because of the fuse element heating).

Since you don't have power seats, I would try putting a somewhat smaller fuse in - perhaps a 25 amp (even a 20 amp might handle the load).
Old 09-26-2006, 05:48 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

my 98 had the exact same problem. replaced the breaker with a fuse, as suggested above, and have not had a problem since.

Quick Reply: Defogger and Power Seat fuse