Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hood Pinswitch for remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 07:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Pinswitch for remote start?

I think I have all the wire colors/locations but thh hood pinswitch. Anyone know? Also, any suggestions on hooking up the remote start of a Viper 791xv I'd gladly read them and apply to during the install. I had the rest of it installed by a shop, but it's a M6 and they said no to the remote start.

I know, I know, it's dangerous to hook it up, but a properly adjusted parking break and I'm set. Plus, I bought an outrageously expensive bullet proof, magnetic key card/fingerprint reading/retinal scanning lock setup to place the keys in, so nobody touches them but me so I don't have to worry about my sister's husband's nephew's cousin taking it for a spin and leaving it in gear without me knowing. Basically, I'm saying, nobody touches this car but me. So, let's stay on task with alarm install info. That being said, I'm sure I'll send it through the back of the garage within a week Tha'ts pretty much how my luck goes, but it's way too damn cold here in the winter.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Actually, I wasn't going to say anything about it driving through the wall by itself but I am very concerned about remote starting a car in a closed garage.

I don't have specific information on that model of Viper but on my older Viper the hood/trunk pin switch wire was pink with a black stripe. Maybe that helps.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, she sits in the garage at my house, but outside at the girlfriend's, so it'll never really get used at my house, but even if you go out to dinner here in January, it's freezing when you get back in the car. Anyways, I know which wire the pin switch is on the Viper, I just didn't know which one to hook it up to in the car. I did find this though and it looks like i just hook it up to the orange/black trunk switch wire in the driver's kick and call it a day.

Accessory 12volts red (50A) + ignition harness
Ignition pink + ignition harness
Parking Lights+ brown + blue plug at the BCM
Notes: The BCM is located in the passenger kick, just in front of the blower motor. Parking Lights- black/white - blue plug at the BCM
Notes: Not all models include this circuit.

Headlight yellow + headlight switch
Trunk/Hatch Release brown + blue plug at the BCM
Notes: The BCM is located in the passenger kick, just in front of the blower motor.
Speed Sense dk. green/white 4K cruise control module or PCM
Wipers gray + steering column
LF Window up/dn dk. blue - brown A driver window motor in door
RF Window up/dn lt. blue - tan A driver kick, door harness
Sun Roof open/close purple - gray 5wi folding top switch
Immobilizer Bypass Module: Required: Yes Type: VATS Part #: 652T resistor pack Notes: See DirectFax document 1049 for interface information.

Wire/Function Colour Location/Description Polarity
PASSIVE ANTI-THEFT YES PASSKEY / V.A.T.S. SEE NOTES
12 VOLTS Red Ignition harness +
IGNITION Pink Ignition harness +
ACCESSORY Orange Ignition harness +
STARTER Yellow Ignition harness +
KEY SENSE Lt.green Ignition harness -
TACH SIGNAL SEE NOTES
WHITE at the Ignition module on the top of the engine for the 3.8L. The 5.7L engine has a coil per cylinder. The WHITE tach wire can be found at the PCM behind the right strut tower at pin-35 of the 80 pin connector.

LOCK Red/black Driver's kick panel -
The BCM which control the doorlocks goes into a sleep mode when the vehicle is left sitting for a few minutes and the doorlocks no longer operate. The module must be 'woken up' before the doorlocks can be operated again. See the ALARM diagram for details. PLEASE NOTE: On models equipped with no factory security, the doorlocks can be wired as a reverse polarity doorlock system.

UNLOCK Orange/black Driver's kick panel -
The BCM which control the doorlocks goes into a sleep mode when the vehicle is left sitting for a few minutes and the doorlocks no longer operate. The module must be 'woken up' before the doorlocks can be operated again. See the ALARM diagram for details. PLEASE NOTE: On models equipped with no factory security, the doorlocks can be wired as a reverse polarity doorlock system.

DOORPIN Gray/black & Black/white At BCM -
Both wires should be isolated with 1N4001 diodes to prevent any feedback. You can also find your hatch trigger and doorlock wires here as well as the hatch release wire.

TRUNK PIN Orange/black In driver's kickpanel -
TRUNK RELEASE Black/white In driver's kickpanel -
DRIVER DOOR LATCH Gray/black Same as doorpin -
FACTORY DISARM See notes
BRAKESWITCH White or Lt.blue switch above brake pedal +
PARKLIGHTS Brown In driver's kickpanel +
HAND BRAKE Tan/white steering column harness -
HORN Black At steering column harness -
CLUTCH SWITCH Dk.green At switch on top of clutch pedal TYPE 1
DRIVER WINDOW UP Dk.blue At switch in driver's door REV POL
DRIVER WINDOW DOWN Brown At switch in driver's door REV POL
PASSENGER WINDOW UP Blue or Blue/white At switch in driver's door REV POL
PASSENGER WINDOW DOWN Tan At switch in driver's door REV POL
HEADLIGHTS Yellow At light switch harness +
REVERSE LIGHTS Lt.green or Gray In driver's kickpanel +
DIMMER Gray At dimmer switch harness
VSS WIRE Dk.green/white Behind radio or at PCM 4000ppm
This wire can be found on the connector to the rear of the vehicle's radio or at the PCM behind the right strut tower pin-55 of the 80-pin connector.

DATABUS INTERFACE Pin-2(top row from left) Diagnostic plug below dash DATA
V.A.T.S. White In orange tube at steering column DATA
Old 09-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

There is no hood pin switch wire in the car from the factory because there is no hood pin switch. They would have supplied a grounding pin switch with the alarm kit that you need to mount to the rad support so that it grounds when the hood is opened. This is to prevent a thief from opening your hood and disabling the alarm before breaking into the car (the alarm will go as soon as the hood opens).

The alarm system should already have been wired to the trunk switch by the installer, so if you don't want to put in a hood pin switch, you could just leave the hood pin wire disconnected. As long as it doesn't ground the alarm system will ignore it.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Sweet. I probably should take the time to install it though, huh?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

It wouldn't hurt to install it because it will give that little extra bit of security. But I didn't bother with mine because it's difficult enough to open the hood from the outside so I figure anyone that determined is going to get the car with or without an alarm sounding.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

What did you do to make your's difficult?
Old 09-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I mean that the hood isn't designed to be opened except by the inside release. If they try that then the alarm would already be going off because of the door opening or the impact of the window breaking. So they either have to force the hood open from above which would probably cause the alarm to go off from the impact, or they have to crawl underneath the car to release the latch manually. I figure the typical smash and grab thief won't go to that much trouble and if they do then a little thing like an alarm sounding isn't going to stop them.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

you could alsos put a mercury switch, i actually like them better.

btw, i would install it, not just for the alarm, but also for the security. If you or someone is working on the engine, and you accidentally remote start it, you would be in for some big trouble
Old 09-27-2006, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Hadn't thought of that situation, so I'll install the switch for safety's sake. My main concern with it accidently starting would be if I left it in gear and the button accidently got pressed while in my pocket to make it start. Obviously I'll attempt to NOT ever leave it in gear, and I'm the only one who ever drives this car. Most everyone knows not to dare think about driving it.