Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon 12-Disc Picky?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monsoon 12-Disc Picky?

Ok...I used a Verbatim CD, and WMP to burn an audio CD to play in my Camaro. The 12-Disc Monson doesn't like it. It works in Other CD players (Including my sony Portable that has been dropkicked once or twice since 1998). Does anyone have advice on CD selection and how to burn CDs so they work in a Monsoon system?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Well, the factory changer won't play CD-RWs so you have to use CD-Rs. I have had good luck with Fuji and even Maxell's will play fine. Don't use the fastest speed of your burner - burning at something between 8x and 12x will give the best results. Oh, and dump WMP as soon as you can for a real burning package (Nero is one of the best). WMP employs DRM (digital rights management) which can really screw up disc playback on some players.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yah, if the CD's are working in other standalone (not PC) drives then you are probably looking at a media problem. White's tip about using a slower speed is a good one, but most likely it's the media.

I've found CDR's that have a blue tint to them tend to read the best in iffy players. Fuji's and Sony used to be such discs, but the sources change so often I'm not sure anymore.

Fuji CDR's used to be made exclusively in Japan and they were extremely good. Blanks are most commonly made in Taiwan, and some of the Taiwan shops are pretty hit and miss. It used to be that if you could verify Japan origin they were good to go. I had an old Alpine head unit that would only read those Japanese Fuji discs. I must have tried 10-15 different brands and that was all that would work.

Nero OEM can be had for as little as $5 or $10 on the net... it can also be "found" for free very easily. I'd recommend staying away from Roxio. It is a little easier to use but can be very picky software and hose up win xp. Nero is still pretty clean and simple.