Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing HU

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing HU

I think I decided on the Alpine 9857 to replace my HU.. Satellite radio is a must for the new ride, so I am going to look into this option. I will be replacing the stock speakers later...

Does the Alpine 9857 + stocker speakers and monsoon amp (for the meantime) = bad.

Also, I know there is the PAC adapter that you can install to work the steering wheel controls... Isn't there another adapter out there that you can install that does not use the IR module to operate the steering wheel controls... isnt there one that you can just connect directly to aftermarket unit?
Old 09-29-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Alpine is a nice unit but you won't get much out of it if you leave the stock amp and speakers. You might not even hear any difference at all. The stock setup blows from every angle IMHO. The speakers, the amp and the HU. You'll get the most bang for your buck by replacing the speakers though.

Oh and there is a PAC unit for that model Alpine that does not need the IR. It connects directly to the HU.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Well, the speakers would be a soon thereafter fix... I just wanted to get satellite radio going, and since I would be replacing the HU at some point, I figured just go ahead and get the direct connection instead of using the Roady.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tab10
Well, the speakers would be a soon thereafter fix... I just wanted to get satellite radio going, and since I would be replacing the HU at some point, I figured just go ahead and get the direct connection instead of using the Roady.
That's cool, it's your car but you asked if it was bad and you will probably not notice a sound difference other than that you'll have Sat. radio

Also, when you decide to replace speakers the amp needs to go to. It is not very good.

I started down a similar road to you but I started with the speakers and while they were much better I soon realized the limitations of the amp and HU and am now doing the whole thing once and for all.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
That's cool, it's your car but you asked if it was bad and you will probably not notice a sound difference other than that you'll have Sat. radio

Also, when you decide to replace speakers the amp needs to go to. It is not very good.

I started down a similar road to you but I started with the speakers and while they were much better I soon realized the limitations of the amp and HU and am now doing the whole thing once and for all.
The rest of it will get done, thats for sure. The speakers will be replaced. How many of the 10 speaker setup would I need to replace? Front, rears, and back? I wouldnt be looking for the top of the line.. just something that puts out a nice, crisp sound.. the read alot of praise of the Inifinity Kappas... that will probably suit my needs.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Kappa 62.7's and to be honest they are way too bright for my tastes. I'm a bit of an elitest when it comes to audio though. I'll be selling my 4 Kappa's and going with 4 Focal Polyglass Coax speakers.

Everyone has their own preference but I'd say you at least want to replace the door speakers. If you replace the sail panel (rear seat) speakers you have to pull the wires from the hatch back as the original sail panel speakers only get bass from the Monsoon amp. Forget doing anything with the hatch speakers. They are 4" "Full range" speakers and only provide fill anyway.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

if i were you id put some good coaxils in the front, some midbass in the rear seat area and a sub or 2 in the back, get 1 mono amp to run the sub and 1 4 channel amp to run the speakers.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
You might not even hear any difference at all.
I can vouch for that.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I replaced my stock HU with the Alpine CDA-D857, I notice an immediate difference with the stock speakers. The music was clear and more defined. Of course, new speakers will be a great idea.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

One thing that will make it sound better is the control over the bass etc and freq.. I noticed a huge difference when I added a aftermarket hu, I turned off all the very low freq and stopped a lot of the distortion. You need a pac swii-alp to connect the steering wheel contorls to the alpine and antenna adaptor, plus the install kit. I did notice the Infinity 62.7i's were bright when in the sailpanel, the front doors sound great. To make the sialpanel 62.7i's sound good I turned the highs all the way down on the tweeter(has a adjustable 3 extra dbls of highs if wanted), the aimed them towards each other instead of direct to the seats, made them sound much better, then added +3 to the fader to the front. I am very happy with how the system sounds now running off the stock amp.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Plus, the Alpine's came with BBE or Bass Engine Plus/Pro. Both make a vast improvement to the sound quality. I ran stock speakers and amp for 2 years before replacing the front speakers.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rotwiler
One thing that will make it sound better is the control over the bass etc and freq.. I noticed a huge difference when I added a aftermarket hu, I turned off all the very low freq and stopped a lot of the distortion. You need a pac swii-alp to connect the steering wheel contorls to the alpine and antenna adaptor, plus the install kit. I did notice the Infinity 62.7i's were bright when in the sailpanel, the front doors sound great. To make the sialpanel 62.7i's sound good I turned the highs all the way down on the tweeter(has a adjustable 3 extra dbls of highs if wanted), the aimed them towards each other instead of direct to the seats, made them sound much better, then added +3 to the fader to the front. I am very happy with how the system sounds now running off the stock amp.
I've decided to bite the bullet and just go with the Focal 165-CV1's and sell the Kappas. I wanted the Focals all along but didn't want to spend the money but since I'm redoing everything I figure I might as well go all the way