Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

8" subwoofer recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006 | 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default 8" subwoofer recommendations

Hi,

Looking for the best solution for a convertible shelf wedge box. Here are my targets:

- Must be 8" sub. Low mounting depth is a plus, can't be larger than 4.5" or so. 5" definitely won't work.
- Would like it to be available under $80-100.
- High sensitivity (90+db)
- Power handling of somewhere around 150 - 250 rms
- Good down to 40Hz or so
- Good in smallest enclosure possible. Maybe 0.6 ft max

The best fits I have right now are:

- JBL GTO 804
- MB Quart RWE-202
- Infinity REF-850W

The JBL and Infinity are basically the same sub (I think). I am comfortable with them, but I don't know about possibly better options. There is very little information out there about the MB Quarts...

Any suggestions are welcome.

I am currently using RF Stage 1 8" subs, and am not very impressed with them. Mostly because they have terrible sensitivity (83db), which is not a good fit for this application.

Tks.
Old 10-15-2006 | 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

JBL is an excellent choice. I had 3-15s in my truck, and i was very impressed with the sound.
Old 10-15-2006 | 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

it might be a little over your price range but i would get a jl audio 8.
Old 10-16-2006 | 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

jl audio, kicker, wow, too many choices here...
Old 10-17-2006 | 01:49 AM
11 Second Club

Resonant engineering RE series 8''. Best bang for your buck 8, ever IMO.
www.reaudio.com

TC sounds TC1000 8''
http://tcsounds.com/tc1000.htm

Ascendant Audio 8''
http://ascendantaudio.com/assassin_page.html

These are all very reputable brands in the car audio world. These are not ''mainstream'' brands so 95% of you probably havent heard of them, but these are the bomb. I have 4 RE8'' subs and registered 15db higher with the same power and box size/tuning as my friends 4 10'' Rockford P1s. 4 8''s compared to 4 10''s, same box size/tuning, same shop/meter, same power, 15db higher. Mainstream sucks IMO
Old 10-20-2006 | 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well if you're interested, I have 2 Sony 8" subs. 220 watts rms @ 4 ohm, only need .36 cubic feet of spacein a sealed box, .5 in a ported enclosure, 3 7/8 inch mounting depth, 87 db sensitivity, and good down to 30 hz. I know they don't have the sensitivity you're looking for, but I'll give ya one cheap.
Old 10-20-2006 | 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another forum member was nice enough to point out that some manufacturer sensitivity ratings are a sort of average including in-car reienforcement. So the RF subs are not quite as poor in this respect as I originally thought.

For the time being I think I am going to do some work on the enclosure and see what I can get out of them. Whatever the case they are still not a very good driver for my application, though.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Wish I wasn't stuck with using 8"s...
Old 10-20-2006 | 03:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by todddchi
Another forum member was nice enough to point out that some manufacturer sensitivity ratings are a sort of average including in-car reienforcement. So the RF subs are not quite as poor in this respect as I originally thought.

For the time being I think I am going to do some work on the enclosure and see what I can get out of them. Whatever the case they are still not a very good driver for my application, though.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Wish I wasn't stuck with using 8"s...
You may not be stuck. Take a look at the Pioneer Premier 12" shallow sub (I think DS12, but can't remember). It's basically an iso sub in a single basket. Not the best sound quality, but I put three in my Magnum because I needed 4" or less mounting depth too, but wanted big sound. They handle the power and I was impressed with the response. Maybe need .3-.4 cu.ft. per sub (sealed).
Old 10-20-2006 | 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for that, I saw those, but diameter is also a problem. I'm using a wedge box in a convertible and 8" is all you got to work with.