Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rear Seat! Amp Racks

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, lol the hood wasn't cheap. But totally worth it. I had been in talks with him for a while, so I got lucky enough to meet up with him to get my own. Roger is a kick *** guy.

Yeah I understand what you mean, thats a cool idea too. And whichever location I decide to place the fans in, I could actually use your steel mesh idea to cover them too. That would look sharp. May not be enough room if I put them in as lids though.

How exactly would you go about powering the fans? The car battery would carry too much juice for those little things wouldnt it? Or do you cap it somehow?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Powering a couple of small fans is super easy. Just use the triggered input. You should have a trigger wire like an antenna lead to use as a remote turn on. It's best to not overpower an antenna lead so you use a relay which can handle much larger loads with no chance of damaging the headunit. This relay will turn on the amps, processors (EQ, x-over, etc...) as well as anything else you want. Just wire the fans to it.

If you don't want to pull a plug everytime you pull the covers off you can make a set of contacts to run the power through. Kind of like this but with smaller, spring loaded connectors.

Think of 2 nails with the heads exposed on the amp tray and 2 on the cover. 2 nails are positive and 2 negative. When you put the cover on the 4 nail heads make contact and close the loop and electricity flows through the fans. Follow me so far?

The one problem is that the nail heads may not make perfect contact as they are both rigid. That would make for a faulty connection and the fans may or may not work depending on whether they are touching or not. To fix this imagine you put really small springs on the 2 nail heads on the cover. Now when you put the cover on the spring will move and always have the nail heads making good contact. When the covers are removed you will only see the 2 shiny nail head contacts flush along the amp tray border.

You also don't want the nail heads (if that is what you want to use) to get rusty. That would make for a bad connection so you can use brass nails. They wount corrode.

See what I'm saying?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah. That would work for the covers for sure. If I decide to use fans thats probably the easiest way, or a manual fan switch. I'll probably do what I can to rig it so the box wont need fans, to keep it simple, and so its one less thing to worry about breaking. (Trust me, everything I own somehow breaks down in some area. lol)

I like your mesh grill idea the most so far. Simple and effective. I've def got some thinking to do. I appreciate all the input and creative ideas.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a creative idea I have for my car.

EDIT: Updated pic with smoother design and larger duct.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-20-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:28 AM
12 Second Club

Alright there Divinci. lol

Is that the setup you might run with?

You know I just realized something... I know your name from somewhere. You're one of the guys who set up a carputer in their fbody arent you? Made a lot of posts about it here and on an mp3car site.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, that's me.

I need to squeeze my PC in there somewhere, but this box design is so large I can't really find room. Luckilly it's mostly air so it's not too heavy. I'm trying to balance sound quality and have strong ultra low frequencies along with big time output for annoying folks. I can switch between the 2 at the touch of a button.

Me working on my own amp rack/sub box is why this thread caught my attention. I got a head full of ideas.

PS, updated above pic.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-20-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

lol I knew I had seen your name before. Sounds like a cool plan you got there. And so far you've had a lot of good ideas, seems you've been thinking about it for a while. Cant wait to see it all finished up, for both of us. lol

I did start thinking about it though, it would be great to possibly make part of the box hinged for storage, i mean think about all that dead space. I dont really like the speedspecialty hinge idea though. Maybe if the whole top shelf was hinged? It'd make for easier access to the wiring and I could hide other electronic goodies in there. May even be a place to stash your PC.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NOIR
I did start thinking about it though, it would be great to possibly make part of the box hinged for storage, i mean think about all that dead space. I dont really like the speedspecialty hinge idea though. Maybe if the whole top shelf was hinged? It'd make for easier access to the wiring and I could hide other electronic goodies in there. May even be a place to stash your PC.
I'm not really following you there.
Since I have MY stuff on the brain, I first thought you were talking about my car and having the top of the slot with quick release clamps so I can pop it off if I need to carry something big in the car. Good idea BTW. Output from the sub would drop 5dB but would still be plenty while carrying a load back there. Good idea you have.

Then I thought you were talking about your amps in the bottom rear seat delete and the wasted space underneath them. That's a good idea as well. It would be super easy to hinge the top piece in the rear and just lift up the whole top piece amps and all. Just run all the wiring near the hinge so it won't get pulled on and your golden. Thats a good idea as well.

What are you doing for subs? I wanted to post this pic below, cause it's cool.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Seat! Amp Racks-rear-seat-install-2-b.jpg  
Old 10-20-2006, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I'm not really following you there.
Since I have MY stuff on the brain, I first thought you were talking about my car and having the top of the slot with quick release clamps so I can pop it off if I need to carry something big in the car. Good idea BTW. Output from the sub would drop 5dB but would still be plenty while carrying a load back there. Good idea you have.

Then I thought you were talking about your amps in the bottom rear seat delete and the wasted space underneath them. That's a good idea as well. It would be super easy to hinge the top piece in the rear and just lift up the whole top piece amps and all. Just run all the wiring near the hinge so it won't get pulled on and your golden. Thats a good idea as well.

What are you doing for subs? I wanted to post this pic below, cause it's cool.

Bingo. A little trunk type lid on it would be cake, and offer lots of storage space.

Although, I do plan on setting up quick disconnects for the subthump ttop box (w/ 2 10" alpine type R's). For when I hit the track, or just really need the space.

edit: and the picture is cool. lol
Old 10-20-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool. You need more ideas or do you think you have it planned out?
Old 10-21-2006, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

I think ive got it planned out. Appreciate all the input. Good luck with your setup, I look forward to seeing it all finished up. I'll post pics when I get mine all done too. Whenever the hell that is. lol
Old 10-31-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Here's pictures of my rear seat delete:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/601253-interior-pictures-my-car.html#post5796846
Old 12-19-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

NOIR, check this out. It's pretty much similar to what I was describing.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=89

Oh, yea. I've updated some of my plans for my own amp rack and sub enclosures. Latest stuff is here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=585731&page=5

The amp rack will be made of steel tubing and stretch across the back seat area. It will bolt into the rear speaker areas on either side.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Jason, as always you've got some great ideas. Looks like the plans are coming along well. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Quick Reply: Rear Seat! Amp Racks