Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

are my subs blown?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default are my subs blown?

i had a set of jl 8's in my sail panel, then they started making this popping sound during hard hits. one started doing it during any hit. i got a set of used kicker 8's in the mail, and they do the exact same thing, only they pop all the time unless the gains are turned way down, then you really can't hear anything. any ideas?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your amp is clipping. Change RCA cables first. See if thats a problem. I had that happen in my truck. When it started popping, it locked up my component speakers. Pulled the RCA cables, paid for a GOOD set, and never had a problem since.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what is clipping? it doesn't do that to the other speakers.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any ideas?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

How are you driving them?

Chances are if the replacement speakers behave in the same way you have an issue with the amp or the wiring. A bad amp can cause what you describe, as can a tiny (single strand) short in your wiring.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

yeap, people are correct, a poor ground will do that and also if the amp is clipping. It may not do that on the other speakers but just the subs. Clipping is distortion. Does it make the popping noise at low volume too? Check the grounds first, after that, turn down the gain on the amp. If it's still popping, rcas could be a problem, but it is rare. If you do those 3 things and still have a problem, remove each sub and check the resistance on it with a meter.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the amp is new. i've had it a about 3 months or so. the jl's pop at relatively high volume, the kicker's do it right away. however, the jl's are 8 ohm, while the kickers are 4. i have the rca's running down the passenger side, don't know if that matters. the amp is grounded to the passenger side rear seatbelt. the power cable is 8guage. the speaker wires are 14g. i had the gains turned basically all the way down. and the kickers still popped.

so to double check, i wired the subs to my home stereo sub out put, and got the popping still with the kickers, while the jl took a much higher volume to pop. when i had it hooked up off of the head unit, there was never any popping. could it really be the amp or wiring?
Old 10-18-2006, 05:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sgt0704
the amp is new. i've had it a about 3 months or so. the jl's pop at relatively high volume, the kicker's do it right away. however, the jl's are 8 ohm, while the kickers are 4. i have the rca's running down the passenger side, don't know if that matters. the amp is grounded to the passenger side rear seatbelt. the power cable is 8guage. the speaker wires are 14g. i had the gains turned basically all the way down. and the kickers still popped.

so to double check, i wired the subs to my home stereo sub out put, and got the popping still with the kickers, while the jl took a much higher volume to pop. when i had it hooked up off of the head unit, there was never any popping. could it really be the amp or wiring?
I would get a meter out and check the resistance on them. Just to rule out any speaker problem.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what should the speakers read on the meter?