Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

flush mount headunit

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flush mount headunit

I just got done installing my new stereo, and the plate crutchfield gave me, has the stereo sticking out pretty far for the dash

I was wondering where can I find a plate where the stereo will be mounted at the same depth as the stock head unit (flush mounted)?

and are there any modifications that are necessary when flush mounting?

the CD player is the Pioneer DEH 7800

I really do not like the radio sticking out a 1/2 inch farther than the stock H/U

I found HUmount.com but are there are other options?

I really do not want any lettering on the plate
and plastic would be fine.

Last edited by kny3twalker; 10-23-2006 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:22 AM
12 Second Club

There is a plastic piece that needs to be cut behind the hu(where the stock one sticks into). Then get a kit that is flush mount. I used to have a single cd hu kit and it stuck out about a 1/2 inch, then ordered one for $11(metra) can't remember part # now and fit is excellent. I think there is some info in the sticky about which kits look best, I have to go to work now, so don't have time to look up part #.
This is the flush mount kit, I have the face on the kenwood face tilted in the pic, but it is flush when closed all the way.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

metra kit, 99-3300 this is for oldsmobiles. works fine. YOu will have to break off that tap in the back for this one to not push the cage outta the mount
Old 10-23-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Got mine back in the day when I worked at Circuit City. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Crutchfield kit I got came with all the different mounting plates (flush, 1/4", 1/2") in the bag. I don't see any reason why your's would be any different, and if it is, call Crutchfield up and they will hook you up. Amazing customer service at that place.

Depending upon your radio though, you are going to need to hack or otherwise get that rear mounting support out of the picture.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Launching!

firehawkNS that is a badass cd u have in there. ive got that cd in my changer right now. and that is a nice lookin set up
Old 10-24-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Resident

todddchi,

I contacted Crutchfield this evening and was told by a technician, that this was the only kit which they carried which fits my car. And the kit as far as I remember only included one plate.
In fact I was told that I would have to custom make a plate or try flipping the 1/2" plate around backwards.

I was really surprised and not happy either, but he did advise me about the dermel tool I need to cut the tab in the back.
I believe it is called a side cutting bit which looks like a drill bit.
Any ideas about how to ask them to send me the complete kit which includes all mounting plates?

I will be calling them again tomorrow.

metra kit, 99-3300 this is for oldsmobiles. works fine. YOu will have to break off that tap in the back for this one to not push the cage outta the mount
jimmy 2 Times,

Where can I purchase the metra kit? Is it possible to simply break the tap in the back or will a dremel be my only option?

Thanks everyone,

Robert
Old 10-24-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks todddchi for the pm
I will contact Crutchfield again tomorrow
Old 10-24-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

kny2twalker,

tell them it is for a 1997 oldsmobile shiloutte, part number 99-3300. or you can go to best buy and get one. www.metraonline.com

as for the little tab, just break it off. I have heard of air saws, dremmels shaking the needles off gauges in GM cars
Old 10-24-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

todddchi,

Crutchfield was unable to find the kit they you referenced, but they are sending me the Metra 99-3300 recommended by the other members here (rotwiler and Jimmy 2 Times).

Jimmy 2 Times/rotwiler,

any modification necessary to the oldmobile plate?

And Thanks Everyone,

Problem appears to be solved.

Robert
Old 10-24-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only thing you have to do is break the tab off the back
Old 10-24-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmph that's strange. I got that kit probably 3-4 months ago. Guess maybe the replaced it.

Post up a pic when it's done, please. If it looks nicer I might use one of those kits.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

the 99-3300 is still active.

the people at crutchfield probably couldn't find it because they are ******* retards. I hate when the give customers wrong parts, then they bring it to me, and i tell them its wrong, and make them buy new ones.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Hmph that's strange. I got that kit probably 3-4 months ago. Guess maybe the replaced it.

Post up a pic when it's done, please. If it looks nicer I might use one of those kits.
yeah great customer service but they did not know what the American International kit was.

the 99-3300 is still active.

the people at crutchfield probably couldn't find it because they are ******* retards. I hate when the give customers wrong parts, then they bring it to me, and i tell them its wrong, and make them buy new ones.
todddchi was referring to another kit he received only a few months ago, not the 99-3300

I do have one more question though. If I remember correctly the tab in the back is made of both metal and plastic. Will simply breaking the plastic part of the bracket off, allow the CD player to slide in farther backwards or Will I encounter any resistance from the metal portion of the bracket?

Thanks again,

Robert

Quick Reply: flush mount headunit