Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:10 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock speaker question

I did some searching but didn't find the answer, if I missed it, I apologize.

I'm trying to find the frequency range of the stock sail panel speakers of a Monsoon system (02 T/A WS6).

I am pretty sure I've blown the driver's side sail panel speaker. I do plan an eventual overall upgrade, but for now, that's not an option, but I can't stand having to turn the bass to zero in order to listen to stuff and not hear a buzzing and rattling coming from behind my left ear. It seems a stock replacement is only about $35, which isn't bad.

But, I'm considering hooking up some bass blockers to help prolong the life of the replacement and the existing passenger side speaker. I listen to all kinds of music, and like it loud, so I'm thinking this is just cheap insurance.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I don't know the actual frequency range but the speakers are considered subs by GM and the signal to them from the Monsoon amp is low-pass filtered. I would guess that they probably don't go below 50Hz but I couldn't find any specs in any of the shop manuals.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could go aftermarket for about the cost of a single stocker and a pair of blockers. They won't produce louder bass but it will be cleaner and the speakers will be much more durable. If you're comfotable wiring up bass blockers you can handle the wiring just fine.

Search for about 5,000 threads on the topic.