Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fishing new speaker wire into drivers door?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fishing new speaker wire into drivers door?

Ok, I started wiring my new system today. All was good until I got to the drivers side door. I worked on that for 2 hours and cannot get the wire fished through the door. Passenger side was a joke but the drivers side has a piece of plastic blocking access and the hood latch is in the way. I figured I would just remove the hood release but the bolts just turn so I'm guessing there are nuts that I cannot get to. Anyone know the easiest way to get new speaker cable into the drivers door?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use a hangar. thats what i did.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

How did you get to the opening? There is a piece of plastic blocking the opening in the driver footwell and I can't get around it.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was able to push the wire through with a hanger. I did this so long ago but just feel through there with the hanger and you should be able to push it through.

-Mike
Old 11-22-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just move the **** outta the way. it's a PIA. took me a few min to do it as well. stuff your fingers in through the door to help feel for the wire.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u can get a nice tool to help run wires at most auto part stores for like 7 or 8 bucs
Old 11-22-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. I'm no novice at this. I've probably wired about a dozen cars in my life. I have taken the entire interior out of the car covered the entire car interior in sound deadening and have run all the wires except for the main power lead (4ga wire) and the driver side door speaker wire. There is a piece of plastic covering the whole driver side area and it is behind the hood release. I cannot get that piece out and the hood release bolts (which is what is keeping this panel in) just turn. They do not come out.

So I cannot get to the inside area where the wire will come out. I can fish the wire from the door side and I can hear it hitting that plastic piece but it will not come out enough to get my hand in to grab the wire. I have yanked on the piece pulled wires out of the way, wedged my hand back there, got cut, bruised and battered and have had no luck at all. I even broke out the service manual and it does not even show that piece of **** plastic that is blocking me. It must be factory though as the harness is attached to it. If there weren't so many wires right in that area I'd cut the plastic POS out but I'm likely to cut something I don't want to cut. Oh well, I'll try again on Friday. It just really pissed me off today as I have NEVER had this much trouble running wires in a car before.