Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: What should i get
Satellite Radio
44.44%
I-pod
55.56%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Satellite Radio or I-pod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
See we have a philips 2gig mp3 player so i think we might go with sirius! Is it clearer then normal radio?

sirius is a good brand to go with, and if i understand you correctly you are asking if itll sound better in the car? if thats it then no, you will need an additional antenna "signal booster" which is sold side by side with it.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

two completely different things. if you want to use your own music, get an ipod; you decide which songs you listen to. if you want all sorts of varied music,, old, new, etc you go for the sat radio; you dont have a specific decision on the exact songs, but you get to listen to the genre that you want. you also get news, sport news etc
Old 11-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
Now, Saying my argument is bogus? how so yours seems kinda bogus. Dude if you can get a SR set up for 50 bucks show me where cause its sure as hell not 50 bucks where i sell it. And theres so much additional accessory crap that you need with SR. IN DFW you will need the extra antenna and then install it, which isnt cheap, or free if you do it yourself. If you just sit in in the car the reception is horrible as you stated. The ipod fm transmitter can be crappy depending on which one you get, the griffin one that does not hook into the car is crappy. now one that plugs into the cigg. lighter is better. still you are sacraficing sound quality. I notice with my setup though that connects to the back deck has very good sound quality. And about 50% of people download there music for free through some source. And about 3/8 of the people i see use limewire. thats always the easy way out.

but for the cheapest way to get the least amout of static is the 59.99 griffin fm trasmitter. I used to have it and bought one for my girlfriend. We go all over town and never get an ounce of static.
I'm sure glad I don't shop at your store. The Sirius Sportster Replay is $49.99 and the Sirius One is only $29.99. Both include car mounting kit, antenna, and power adapter - everything you need to be able to hear satellite radio.

Now, assuming you want better sound than you can get using the built-in wireless FM modulator, you'll have to get some kind of hard wired connection. For the sake of argument I'll assume you don't have a cassette head unit so the $15 cassette adapter is out. The next best option for the least money is a hard-wired FM modulator (note: this is not a transmitter). Good ones are available for under $50 and there's an excellent Delphi one for XM that's under $40. Plus you don't need any other antenna or "signal booster" or extra equipment at all.

Why you would even consider buying a $60 wireless FM transmitter, I'll never know. Even if it's powerful enough to reduce static and local interference, you still end up with having to change frequencies when you travel.

Finally, if you want really good sound, you spend $65 for a GM9-AUX auxiliary input adapter and plug your satellite radio directly into the CD changer port on the back of the head unit. This gives you the best sound quality because it is a direct input to the head unit amp with no modulation involved. Installation is a simple matter of removing the three screws that hold in the head unit, plugging in the adapter, and reinstalling the head unit. If you don't do it yourself, it's only about 20 minutes of an installer's time.

BTW, all of these options work for iPods and other MP3 players as well as satellite radio.

If the best solution your shop can come up with is just a more powerful FM transmitter then I suggest they really aren't serving their customers very well.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 11-29-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

...And about 50% of people download there music for free through some source. And about 3/8 of the people i see use limewire. thats always the easy way out.
I said legal music...it's up to you if you want to download music files illegally.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol muisc is free alday long in the net!!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

sirius is a good brand to go with, and if i understand you correctly you are asking if itll sound better in the car? if thats it then no, you will need an additional antenna "signal booster" which is sold side by side with it.
My JVC cd player is Sirius ready
Old 11-29-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by presto_z
30g ipod FTW..

I love having it in the car. I can play music videos on my in-dash or just listen to a ton of music.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
My JVC cd player is Sirius ready
Hell man...we've been assuming you have a factory stereo. If you've got a Sirius-ready head unit then sound quality, mounting location, and controls aren't a problem. Get the Sirius receiver that goes with your head unit, mount it behind the dash, and you'll have great sound with the display and controls all located in your head unit. Your JVC probably also has auxiliary input capability so you could connect your MP3 player as well and have the best of both worlds.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

my girlfriend just got a xm radio unit that records songs and it can hold like 1000 songs or something, so its really the best of both worlds, or you could allways get a Zune. the zune is nearly identical to the ipod but it has a much larger screen an FM tuner built in, plus it has wireless file sharing so you can share your tunes with buddies. the cost is the exact same as the largest ipod at 250.00 its really worth the money!

my zune has 1500 songs, 20 full length movies, and about 150 pictures, with 6 gigs still left to work with! its great!
Old 11-29-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

i thought the zune blocks any files that aren't purchased through their site. meaning every song you get has to be purchased legally and by their means. and the sharing is only temporary, correct? i heard the file only lasts a few days and unless you purchase them, they are deleted. did you pay for all your music and movies through zune's site?
Old 11-30-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah with XM or sirirus do forget the $150.00 a year thats the part that gets me
Old 11-30-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

here it is
Old 11-30-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by The Professor
i thought the zune blocks any files that aren't purchased through their site. meaning every song you get has to be purchased legally and by their means. and the sharing is only temporary, correct? i heard the file only lasts a few days and unless you purchase them, they are deleted. did you pay for all your music and movies through zune's site?
no, any mp3 files you have will remain on the zune for as long as you want, purchased through them or not. the files that stay for only 3 days or 3 plays, are the files you wirelessly xfer with your buddies. and, if you have an ipod already Microsoft will buy all your songs in standard mp3 format, so you can use them on all your devices, computer, zune, etc... cause ipod uses a format only ipods can read which is gay as all hell. ive had mine for 2 weeks and have had all my content on there since day one, plus adding movies about every day, and my stuff is all still there so awesome!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
ipod uses a format only ipods can read
what other device would you need to read your songs besides your computer and mp3 player? it plays through regular auido outputs on home stereos and cars. that's cool that microsoft bought all your songs you had previously.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This doesn't all necessarily apply to you Dan, but to anyone else interested.

I have both in the car currently, and I can tell you I listen to the XM radio 10:1 easily.

WhiteBird00 is dead on with what he is saying...I tried FM modulation(garbage, especially in hilly areas), then I used the cassette method(good sound, but a jumble of wires).

Finally I picked up a P.I.E. X3 adaptor, plugged it into the CD changers slave and now I have hardwired Ipod and XM at the click of a button without losing my 12 disc capability. I will add(and this varies from car to car) that I had to pick up a Ground Loop Isolator at Radio Shack to get rid of some low level interference coming from the CD changer while listening to XM/Ipod.

I'll snap some pictures if anyone wants to see how it is all set up.

Oh, and as far as the XM reception goes, it's great. I can't speak for Sirius but XM has repeaters all over the place with more constantly going in, I went on a 10K mile road trip over the summer and the only place I ever lost reception(momentarily) was along cliff faces/heavy forrested areas(and even the woods were no problem as I could listen just fine while camping nightly).
Old 12-03-2006, 05:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think it depends really on how many songs you have.
I would personally choose the ipod over the sat-radio, mainly because you can change the button if you dont want to hear the song.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

get an alpine deck and get both.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

ipud ftw...i love mine, the direct connection with my alpine sounds better than cds...
Old 12-18-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedLT4Mike
Both..
Get the Sat radio to find the new tunes on the radio,
go home and download them and put them on your IPOD for
music on demand.
Quoted for truth.

I'm getting XM beacuse they have lke 5 great electronic channels, and metal, and talk show, commerical free, uncensored, etc. etc. I'll use the XM to find new songs and artists, and then go out and buy their stuff to stick on the iPod. If you can afford it, it's win win.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went ipod because I hate compression. I ripped all my music in lossless. Sirius and XM compress the signal so much it sounds like *** IMHO. For casual listening it is fine but as part of a high performance system Sat radio is not going to cut it IMHO.