Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: What should i get
Satellite Radio
44.44%
I-pod
55.56%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Satellite Radio or I-pod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a sirius radio in my charger and it's well worth the money. keep in mind theres additonal sat radios that can also save music that you listen to on sirius. portability, over 100 channels, of music nonstop! hell the only other option sirius could add on thier radios is a pocket ***** and it would have EVERYTHING! as for this guy talking about static? my friends have other units that use a FM modulator and i never even noticed staic or what have you. this may be the case with XM but i have never experianced it with sirius. check this link out on the radios it's well worth it and also shows this guy dissing sat radio needs to brush up on his sales tactics since he's obviously mis informed and over pricing his products http://shop.sirius.com/
Old 12-18-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rons 00z
i have a sirius radio in my charger and it's well worth the money. keep in mind theres additonal sat radios that can also save music that you listen to on sirius. portability, over 100 channels, of music nonstop! hell the only other option sirius could add on thier radios is a pocket ***** and it would have EVERYTHING! as for this guy talking about static? my friends have other units that use a FM modulator and i never even noticed staic or what have you. this may be the case with XM but i have never experianced it with sirius. check this link out on the radios it's well worth it and also shows this guy dissing sat radio needs to brush up on his sales tactics since he's obviously mis informed and over pricing his products http://shop.sirius.com/
No offense Ron but it's not like your radio dial is full of stations out in Nebraska. Out on the east coast near Phila, NYC, or DC almost every channel is used and trying to find one between 2 non broadcasting channels is impossible and so you do get interference and static when using an FM modulator whether it is XM or Sirius or ipod. It is the nature of FM transmitters in heavy use areas.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alot of new head units are available with usb ports or with flash memory slots, get one that is SAT ready and a fat memory card and then there's no need for cds.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
No offense Ron but it's not like your radio dial is full of stations out in Nebraska. Out on the east coast near Phila, NYC, or DC almost every channel is used and trying to find one between 2 non broadcasting channels is impossible and so you do get interference and static when using an FM modulator whether it is XM or Sirius or ipod. It is the nature of FM transmitters in heavy use areas.

none taken. but even if i lived back home in AZ i would still have sirius radio. plus everynow and then i travel alot so it's deffinately worth it for that also. plus just the features i like for example howard 101 has howard in the morning bubba the love spounge in the afternoon and scotty ferrel in the evenings with some other shows in between time that are funny as hell. then theres NFL radio if i'm missing a game, fox news, nascar, and playboy channel in case i want to strech the meat while driving hahahaha. think of it as a audio cable TV but uncensord and comercial free
Old 12-26-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I too was debating on iPod or Sirius. Thanks to the Stiletto 100, my dilemna was solved! Siriusly, this is basically a Satellite Radio and iPod combined in one unit (since you can store up to 1GB worth of MP3's as well as the ability to listen to Sirius). If Stiletto doesn't fit your budget, the S50 is also a good choice and I believe you can get them for less than $100 these days.

Now, my only problem is installing it in the Formula as this is not as small as the iPod....
Old 12-29-2006, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

ipod i'n my car, and i love it. it's my mobile juke box! but i left the damn thing plugged in for a week without starting my car and it killed my car battery...
Old 12-31-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the compression thing with Satellite Radio. I noticed that listening to SIRIUS is not as good quality as CD, or even MP3's. I don't think it's the radio since MP3 sounds great from the same radio that plays SIRIUS.

That being said, I actually have a MP3 changer (holds 10 CD's) for higher quality sound. But I'm still looking for a way to sneak the Stiletto unit in the bird without making it obvious that I have satellite in there (thinking of mounting the home dock in place of the ashtray so the ashtray lid closes when the Stiletto is not there, but my car is an A4 and has things in the way).
Old 02-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

I may have missed the ansewer to my question but, I have the stock monsoon head unit and want to keep it.What do I need to install it? Also, I want to hard wire it in and keep my steering wheel controls, and would it be poss. to mount the ant inside the car I saw one that was magnetic,thought maybe I could hide it under a panel or headliner, thanks
Old 02-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Can someone post up some picks of the back of their stock monsoon headunit for an 02' T/A, thanks
Old 02-14-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trans-am nut
I may have missed the ansewer to my question but, I have the stock monsoon head unit and want to keep it.What do I need to install it? Also, I want to hard wire it in and keep my steering wheel controls, and would it be poss. to mount the ant inside the car I saw one that was magnetic,thought maybe I could hide it under a panel or headliner, thanks
Yes, you can do all of that. I have it exactly as above in my car.

You'll need to pick up a PIE X3 auxillary input device or similar and connect your CD, XM, etc to it. The XM/Ipod will then run off your CD Changer/Aux input. I just hit a button on a remote to switch from CD to XM. I did encounter some interference initially while listening to XM due to ground loop interference. A ground loop isolator solved the problem(available at Radio Shack).

As for moutning...I ran the XM antennae rearward, all hidden. I have the antennae mounted on the top of the rear hatch strut and it works perfectly.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Ipod all the way!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
Yes, you can do all of that. I have it exactly as above in my car.

You'll need to pick up a PIE X3 auxillary input device or similar and connect your CD, XM, etc to it. The XM/Ipod will then run off your CD Changer/Aux input. I just hit a button on a remote to switch from CD to XM. I did encounter some interference initially while listening to XM due to ground loop interference. A ground loop isolator solved the problem(available at Radio Shack).

As for moutning...I ran the XM antennae rearward, all hidden. I have the antennae mounted on the top of the rear hatch strut and it works perfectly.
What button did you hit to switch it over
Old 02-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Also, where did you mount the ground loop isolator?
Old 02-14-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trans-am nut
What button did you hit to switch it over

If you do a search for PIE X3 you'll see what the unit looks like, it comes with an attached remote to toggle between your CD changer and the three(3) auxillary inputs.

As for the radio, you hit the aux button on the head unit that controls the CD changer...you may wish to do a search and double check on this. It may be important to note that my Monsoon head unit is equipped with the Tape Deck, not an in dash CD Player.

The PIE X3 runs on your CD changers slave circuit...so you have to have it operating to draw power/signal to use your XM/IPOD. All that means is you have to have a CD in you changer, it can't be empty.

The ground loop isolator is just a small device that reduces/eliminates interference from the CD changer when playing your XM or Ipod. It is mounted behind the dash with the PIE X3...it's just a small box with 4 RCA input/outputs. The only slight drawback was that I have a few more wires exposed with the Isolator than I did before adding it. I'll post pics tonight.

Last edited by Hoss Ghoul; 02-14-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

If you don't want to connect more than one extra auxiliary device you can get the PIE GM9-AUX instead of the X3 and you won't need the separate switch. In an '02 you can even keep the factory CD changer if you have one. You switch between the devices using the CD/Play button on your head unit. Press once to activate the HU single CD. Press again to switch to the CD changer (if you have one). Press again to switch to the external auxiliary device (satellite radio, MP3 player, or whatever you connect to it). The button will cycle to the next available device each time you press it.

Satellite radio signal is not significantly affected by plastic or glass so a good hidden location for the antenna is inside the rear spoiler. Of course, the best reception will always come from an antenna mounted as high as possible near the center of the car. The antennas are so small these days you can mount it on the bar between the t-tops and it's hardly noticeable.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you don't want to connect more than one extra auxiliary device you can get the PIE GM9-AUX instead of the X3 and you won't need the separate switch. In an '02 you can even keep the factory CD changer if you have one. You switch between the devices using the CD/Play button on your head unit. Press once to activate the HU single CD. Press again to switch to the CD changer (if you have one). Press again to switch to the external auxiliary device (satellite radio, MP3 player, or whatever you connect to it). The button will cycle to the next available device each time you press it.

Satellite radio signal is not significantly affected by plastic or glass so a good hidden location for the antenna is inside the rear spoiler. Of course, the best reception will always come from an antenna mounted as high as possible near the center of the car. The antennas are so small these days you can mount it on the bar between the t-tops and it's hardly noticeable.
Is that cyclying you're talking about only available on 02's? Or would a PIE GM9-AUX give me that ability on a 2000?

The reason I went with the X3 was so I could continue to use my CD changer(since my HU has a tape deck) while having XMRadio...If it was possible to cycle on my head unit and I could do away with the X3/Remote that I use to cycle now, that would be a small bonus, as I can just switch the input jack from my XM to use my Ipod and don't actually need the other 2 inputs.

Hope that makes sense, appreciate your answer....my goal is to have as few exposed wires in my cockpit as possible. I can't remember all the research I did on this last year...
Old 02-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
Is that cyclying you're talking about only available on 02's? Or would a PIE GM9-AUX give me that ability on a 2000?

The reason I went with the X3 was so I could continue to use my CD changer(since my HU has a tape deck) while having XMRadio...If it was possible to cycle on my head unit and I could do away with the X3/Remote that I use to cycle now, that would be a small bonus, as I can just switch the input jack from my XM to use my Ipod and don't actually need the other 2 inputs.

Hope that makes sense, appreciate your answer....my goal is to have as few exposed wires in my cockpit as possible. I can't remember all the research I did on this last year...
No, unfortunately only the '01 and '02 models are capable of controlling more than one external device. The GM9-AUX would work fine on a 2000 but you would have to disconnect the CD changer. I've tried it - you get both the satellite radio and the CD changer playing at the same time which sounds awful. So, in your case, the X3 is exactly the right adapter that allows you to keep your changer and add auxiliary input. Because trans-am nut has an '02, he could use the GM9-AUX for auxiliary input and still keep the changer (if he has one).
Old 02-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Badass, thanks everyone, very imformative. As soon as the tax return gets here I will purchase everything, come on uncle sammy, lol
Old 02-15-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sirius rules.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Would it be poss. to hook up the sat. radio and an I-pod, not really interested in it just curious,thanks